Options

IT positions in Miami are tough! Do I have to relocate?

2»

Comments

• Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    Wow! While am here at RHT and am readig the reviews online and their very mixed! Almost making me stay away!
    1776 is the answer to 1984!
  • Options
    I actually called the company the recruiter was telling me about and they tolled me to send them my resume. Do you guys think the recruiter will get pissed?!
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I actually called the company the recruiter was telling me about and they tolled me to send them my resume. Do you guys think the recruiter will get pissed?!

Backdoor routes are cool in a pinch, but I'm not sure that should be your default?!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You really shouldn't burn any bridges. Especially if you haven't even gotten your foot in the door for your first IT job. Unless, of course, he is just yanking your strings
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    You really shouldn't burn any bridges. Especially if you haven't even gotten your foot in the door for your first IT job. Unless, of course, he is just yanking your strings
    Yeah I can see where your coming from.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    It is what it is. If you want to be considered you have to play the "let's fill job applications online with apps that suck" game. This is the new standard and it will not change any time soon.

I read an article from some recruiter a year or so ago is that it's now perceived to be "creepy" to show up in a suit and apply in person.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Dude how insane! Kforce called me thursday about fowarding them my resume and what I am seeking to work. I send them my info and said that they will try to get me in with terramark. Also on the same day Robert Half called and gave me a interview for monday! What are these companies about? Are they successful in getting you interviews? Do they help you land a good job with a good environment? What can I expect from these people? I asked alot of question and said am seeking minimum of 13 a hr job.

Kforce was able to get me 2 to 3 interviews in about 2 weeks. When talking to them, don't sound desperate but sound passionate. Let them know that you are looking to get your foot in the door and pay is not a major concern (try not to get lowballed either) Robert Half did not help me out, They changed the recruiter on me like 3 or 4 times because people either got fired or quit (they didnt say exactly why, they just told me that X person was longer with the company). What you mean by "good" environment can vary, i've been lucky enough to be placed in a great fast paced MSP but it wasnt the recruiter alone that got me the job. It was my motivation and my people skills that got me the interview, then my passion and my knowledge got me the offer letter. It takes time to get a job through a recruiter but just be patient and never give up and don't stop at recruiters. Go on Craigslist and indeed, post your resume everywhere, connect with people on Linkedin.
  • Options
    well guys its been a year that I have had my A+ and currently working on my AA. And STILL nothing. I feel that I might never get a position in IT. All I need is a damn break and I can prove that I'm worthy of a decent IT job.

I feel so let down. I'm tired of my boring typical job and want to dive in to my passion for IT, yet it seem like it will never happen. I'm 26 years old and I honestly feel desperate to get in to IT. Sure its bad to get desperate, but I been applying and nothing concrete.

I'm still working on my N+.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear that. Keep working on the N+ it's another set of skills to market. I have seen a lot of complaints about Florida but I think entry level is tricky everywhere. Everyone needs the one break to get them into the field and hopefully yours will come soon. It's sounds like you are working at least which is very important. It allows you the flexiblity to stick it out
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    well guys its been a year that I have had my A+ and currently working on my AA. And STILL nothing. I feel that I might never get a position in IT. All I need is a damn break and I can prove that I'm worthy of a decent IT job.

I feel so let down. I'm tired of my boring typical job and want to dive in to my passion for IT, yet it seem like it will never happen. I'm 26 years old and I honestly feel desperate to get in to IT. Sure its bad to get desperate, but I been applying and nothing concrete.

I'm still working on my N+.

Have you considered personal consulting?

Getting an IT job is a hard shell to break. But generally speaking, once you're in; you're in. I've suggested this to many people and I'll suggest it again--go into business with yourself.

Print out business cards and spend some time downloading some tools and pick up side work. That's what I used to do, and believe ME--there are lots of people who would love to get some cheap help with their computer issues including family, friends, etc... All of this while you're getting your hands dirty and some experience you CAN put on your resume.

A few tools I may suggest if you're interested

Hardware Tools & Discs

- Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter: Computers & Accessories

- Startech CTK100P 7 Piece Precision Screwdriver Computer Tool Kit - Newegg.com

- Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info

- External HDD and USB flash drive of any sort

- OS installation discs

Application Tools

Can be downloaded from ninite.com

- CCleaner

- Malwarebytes

- WinDirStat

- Teamviewer

Just my suggestion but I think if you've been trying for a year now and haven't gotten anything, it's time to start putting some effort towards the experience and continue with education at the same time. I'd also suggest getting some advice on your resume--it may also be part of the issue.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You can do it!
    How close to completing your AA are you? are you going to MDC? So am I for my AA.

Also, finish your Net+ asap. have that ready if your AA. is near completion.

Keep applying to places. There shouldn't be issues finding $15-18/hr work.
    It really is a damn shame that you cant volunteer with the IT staff at UMiami.
    I got your other messages. I'd help you out but I work a new job in Ft. Lauderdale now.

Anyways, for other places, What people down here need is personality and clear english. You don't even need to learn spanish.
    I'm sure you'd do great in interviews as it is mostly a personality check. The main problems is getting an interview.

Perhaps you can post your resume. Maybe we can add more tech to your resume even though you don't have actual job experience.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    tkerber wrote: »
    Have you considered personal consulting?
    In reference to my resume?
    Getting an IT job is a hard shell to break. But generally speaking, once you're in; you're in. I've suggested this to many people and I'll suggest it again--go into business with yourself.
    I have thought of this to gain experience. I could squeeze a few hour to offer to people, yet I do work full time and taking four classes at my local college so time is very limited, but I can work something out.
    Print out business cards and spend some time downloading some tools and pick up side work. That's what I used to do, and believe ME--there are lots of people who would love to get some cheap help with their computer issues including family, friends, etc... All of this while you're getting your hands dirty and some experience you CAN put on your resume.

A few tools I may suggest if you're interested

Hardware Tools & Discs

- Amazon.com: USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter: Computers & Accessories

- Startech CTK100P 7 Piece Precision Screwdriver Computer Tool Kit - Newegg.com

- Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info

- External HDD and USB flash drive of any sort

- OS installation discs

Application Tools

Can be downloaded from ninite.com

- CCleaner

- Malwarebytes

- WinDirStat

- Teamviewer
    You know I contemplate about make tool kit and wasn't too sure, but I actually have some of the stuff you mention. I can see where you're going with the software which can be very beneficial. Thanks I will buy and download that software/tools.
    Just my suggestion but I think if you've been trying for a year now and haven't gotten anything, it's time to start putting some effort towards the experience and continue with education at the same time. I'd also suggest getting some advice on your resume--it may also be part of the issue.
    Yeah I looked at my resume I had on some websites and it was weak. I should of known better. I got some advice and it looks better now.
  • Options
    You can do it!
    How close to completing your AA are you? are you going to MDC? So am I for my AA.

Also, finish your Net+ asap. have that ready if your AA. is near completion.
    I have 12 credits this semester and then two more semesters with 12 credits each, so by next July I should be done. I'm so backup with school work and working full time that to dedicate time to N+ is a bit hard. I'm still studying though.
    Keep applying to places. There shouldn't be issues finding $15-18/hr work.
    It really is a damn shame that you cant volunteer with the IT staff at UMiami.
    I got your other messages. I'd help you out but I work a new job in Ft. Lauderdale now.
    Yeah, it's conflict of interest for me to work and volunteer at work. At this point I wouldn't mind driving to Ft. Lauderdale for some help.
    Anyways, for other places, What people down here need is personality and clear english. You don't even need to learn spanish.
    I'm sure you'd do great in interviews as it is mostly a personality check. The main problems is getting an interview.
    I speak both English and Spanish so thats not a problem for me. I feel that I might mess up a bit on a interview, but I've gotten good over the past years be to honest.
    Perhaps you can post your resume. Maybe we can add more tech to your resume even though you don't have actual job experience.
    Will do!
  • Options
    Education

CompTIA A+ Certified. Aug. 2013- Aug. 2016

Miami Dade College Sept. 2013- Present.
    Associate in Arts Computer Information Technology

Courses:
    · Microcomputer processors and software.
    · A+ Prep course.
    Expertise

· Administrator of T-DOC Software.
    o Create and document trays for the dept.
    o Maintain proper instrumentation updates
    o Give users walk through support on how to track and process trays.
    o Demonstrate users correct labeling for instruments.
    · Proper assemble and handling of hardware installation of Ram, Hard Drives, and Optimal Drives.
    · Installing operating systems Linux/Ubuntu, Win Xp, Win Vista and Win 7.
    · Clean and maintain printers.
    · Use antivirus software for infected systems.
    · Crimp cable and set up proper cable set up in facility with proper organization.
    · Speak and write fluent English and Spanish.
    · Two months volunteering at Mt. Sinai Medical Center for the Information Technology Dept.
    · Followed Technician Service Associate throughout the campus documenting equipment inventory.
    · Install ISO images to computers.
    · Clean rollers and change ink cartridges on printers.
    · Troubleshoot printers for better ink output on pages.
    · Defragment PC for better PC performance.
    · Showed employees how to locate files on local network.

Experience

University of Miami Hospital May.2014-Present

305-689-6666
    Central Processing Tech
    Manager A. B. Goode
    Certified Sterilization Technician
    Administrator of tracking software T-DOC.
    Sterilize trays in steam and sterrad.
    Assemble instrument specialties for Neuro, Ortho, Cysto,and Cardio Vascular.

Mt. Sinai Medical Center
    Certified Sterilization Technician Oct.2011-May.2014

.2010- Present

(305)674-6666
    Director, Frank M.
    ext. 52720

Certified Sterile Processing And Distribution Technician Nov.2011-May.2014

Processing instruments and trays through decontamination.
    Prep and package sterilized instruments.
    Organize trays in storage room.

Surgical Service Assistant Oct. 2010- Oct.2011
    Clean and prepare operating room.
    Prep patients for surgery.
    Transport patients to operating room and to patient hospital room.

Sears Westland Mall Oct.2007-Jan.2009

Nov.2007 – Jan.2009

(305)364-6666
    Manager, Maritza L.

Watch Repair Technician
    Sell watch accessories.
    Open and Closed department on same day basics.
    Adjust customers watch bands to appropriate size and perform maintain.
  • Options
    thats my resume. and I changed the names and phone numbers....too much personal info. And yes I have my name and contact info on top centered.
  • Options
    I actually joined Linkedin a few days ago and I actually found the IT Director of my hospital. Should I send him a message that I'm currently employed at that hospital and I'm seeking a entry level position? I already filled out a application this week for two different help desk positions. I called the recruiter and basically said thats all I can do. If they're interested then they will call me.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    My first thought is you've been studying for the Network+ for way too long. You either aren't dedicating yourself enough or you're not interested in the material.

For the resume I'd drop Sears/watch repair and rework the entire skills/job section. You seem to be jumping all over the place. You have multiple lines about printers but they aren't in order. Condense those into one solid bullet point. Overall you need to make the resume sound more technical. For example changing lines like ' Showed employees how to locate files on local network.' to 'Assisted employees with mapping network drives and accessing internal FTP sites.'

I'd also mention your bilingual with your A+ at the top of the resume.
  • Options
    Repo Man wrote: »
    My first thought is you've been studying for the Network+ for way too long. You either aren't dedicating yourself enough or you're not interested in the material.
    True. Its just that full time work and full time school give little time for N+, but I have managed time to dig at the cram exam book. I'm very interested in N+ it's the time thats killing me.
    Repo Man wrote: »
    For the resume I'd drop Sears/watch repair and rework the entire skills/job section. You seem to be jumping all over the place. You have multiple lines about printers but they aren't in order. Condense those into one solid bullet point. Overall you need to make the resume sound more technical. For example changing lines like ' Showed employees how to locate files on local network.' to 'Assisted employees with mapping network drives and accessing internal FTP sites.'

I'd also mention your bilingual with your A+ at the top of the resume.
    Thanks makes sense.
  • Options
    I actually got someone interested in me from indeed.com and they email me two questions in regards to the job:

5. What specific experience do you have that qualifies you for this position?
    How do I answer this if I pretty much can do whats based on my resume that I already sent him? (look at previous post for my resume)

· Proper assemble and handling of hardware installation of Ram, Hard Drives, and Optimal Drives.
    · Installing operating systems Linux/Ubuntu, Win Xp, Win Vista and Win 7.
    · Clean and maintain printers.
    · Use antivirus software for infected systems.
    · Crimp cable and set up proper cable set up in facility with proper organization.
    · Speak and write fluent English and Spanish.
    · Two months volunteering at Mt. Sinai Medical Center for the Information Technology Dept.
    · Followed Technician Service Associate throughout the campus documenting equipment inventory.
    · Install ISO images to computers.
    · Clean rollers and change ink cartridges on printers.
    · Troubleshoot printers for better ink output on pages.
    · Defragment PC for better PC performance.
    · Showed employees how to locate files on local network.

6. What is your current schedule like? (Note we are offering a flexible schedule including day, evening and weekend work)

This one is obviously easy.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is possible they glossed over your resume assuming everyone fills in the same stuff. It is also possible that they are looking for you to elaborate on their position. If I had to respond to it I would take the job description and build a list of skills that fit into it. Then draft a short response of maybe two paragraphs.

I don't know what they really want from you but at the very least you can demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With all of the international banks located there you'd think there would be a booming IT market in the "capital of Latin America."

My personal interactions with other IT firms while working on projects in Miami and Fort Lauderdale leads me to believe South Florida's reputation as the "fraud capital of America" is well deserved.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe