Options

Desktop Support Folks - What current project are you on or plans for future projects?

I know everyone is currently working on upgrading their company systems to Windows 7 before XP support retires, but just curious to know of any other projects you might be working on.

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Learn to use the AIK for deployments :). After that I want to migrate from server 2003 to 2008.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Chris, AIK? Try MDT.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh man…this could be a lengthy list. Here’s the highlights:

1st project: Fix our wireless. I updated the wireless network last week, and that broke one SSID in 4 out of 12 locations…awaiting Aruba support techs to call me. This one’s a priority right now.

Others:
    Investigate (free) alternatives to cPanel to use in web development/programming classes.

Image a few Windows 8 machines for GPO and application testing. Expecting a big rollout (Win 8 ) next Summer.

Handful of servers left that I need to migrate from 2003 to 2012.

Research small voip implementation: 4 phone lines, 3 different locations. This is to be able to move our helpdesk phone line around to all of us that monitor/check it. After hours, I dial in and check the voicemail every half-hour or so, but it would be better if we could just have it redirected to my number.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Chris, AIK? Try MDT.

Thanks! I made a thread a couple weeks back asking about this but it was not suggested at that time.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I'm trying to pursue completely redesigning our aging service knowledge management system. I really think there's an opportunity where I work to improve on this. You can pretty much see what it looks like by just looking at my employer's website ;)

Documentation is not glorious work, but I'm very emotionally invested in "intraprenuering" my efforts into really taking my department to the next level despite not being in a management role.

I'm a pretty competitive guy so I really want to see my department provide the best IT service when compared against any other of my employer's peer schools.