Options

Interview Question

Anyone ever had a situation where you had to go to a interview with the HR rep and IT director? This is my first experience. It's typically always been the IT guy.

Will the HR rep ask the typical "why do you want to work here", etc? While the IT person focus on the technical questions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    Your assumption definitely sounds plausible. HR may tell you about the benefits and programs at the company. The IT director will tell you about the role and go over technical skills. Sounds like you are interviewing with a small company and will be reporting to the director.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Typically that is how it would work. The HR representative should have much more formal training on how to interview personality and how you fit in with the company while the IT representative has the technical background necessary to evaluate your skill set.

Every interview I've ever had brings in both someone from HR as well as a technical team.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There's also a possibility that you have an IT director who likes to be involved in the hiring at all levels. I've seen a few of these. (In some cases, I'd argue the wisdom of it, but that really depends on how big the department is and how it's structured.)
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    22cloud922cloud9 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had an interview with the county that was like that. 1 HR person, the IT Manager and 1 peer. I think HR was there to keep the IT manager from asking illegal questions that can get the county into a lawsuit.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My interview to this job was that way:
    1 phone interview with HR
    1 phone interview with Manager and 2 team members on bridge
    1 in person interview with Manager
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The hr will probably ask questions regarding your background the IT director will most likely ask questions to see if you can do the job.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't forget HR is better suited at picking up on what are considered desirable personality traits, while the IT guy will be there to fact check your technical answers.

I have read here a few times that IT guys pick a "winner" then get shutdown by HR because the candidate lacked something.

edit: And by something I don't mean a degree or skill set, in this situation I would expect the HR person to be judging your decision making abilities, whether your a team player, etc...