Options

MS Does Away With Stacked Ranking

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
Microsoft Scraps Curved Ranking System

This is big news, in my opinion. Not only do I think this has held MS back from innovating, but it greatly increases any chances I'd ever work there, personally.
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    No clue what that is? Something internal i'm gathering from the article?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod

out of 10 employees the manager has to give 2 employees an exceeds expectations, 6 employees a meets, and 2 employees a do not meets. An oversimplification but close. Also in that environment the 2 who do not meet expectations are dead men walking.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    That would seem worthless if there aren't any "do not meet" people and having to rank a members of a good team bad and fire them.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Enron used an approach like that and we know how that worked out.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    The wiki article pretty effectively captures the issue with it. It might have made sense for saving GE, but it makes absolutely no sense at a software company.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213

Pretty much where a company ranks all their employees on a scale (i.e.1-5) based on overall performance. What makes the system a problem is how companies enforce "Quotas" for the "ranked numbers" they can give out. X amount only can be 5s, most being 3s, and may even put some people to have 1s... This is the way the Air Force is trying to rate people in the near future since we are becoming a peacetime service again and don't need the amount of people we have now...
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    USAF has used that type of scale for a long, long time. I never worried about quotas. I would always use the job description, plus the rank description to figure out where a troop stood. If they far exceeded the requirements, they got a 5 (equivalent to working at a level one grade higher than they were). If they exceeded most of the requirements, they got a 4 (equivalent to working at a level one grade higher some of the time). I never had a boss question me about my ratings, as they knew I would rate true. Unfortunately, few would rate true, so you had a lot of 3s with 5s for ratings.

Unfortunately, a lot of commanders are going to require the 5 rating to be only a certain percentage. I feel that it does a disservice to the troops because you could have two or three who are 5s but only one would likely get it. That kills morale and makes people work only hard enough to not get yelled at. I am glad I retired before that happened.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stryder,

Being prior Air Force myself, I can say that there were definitely a lot of 5's given out. It seemed like everyone essentially got a 5, or the highest rating. Makes it hard to stand out when everyone is being rated as being top tier.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zxbane...too true. I fought a few times when giving out less than 5s. Took about two minutes to correct leadership, which shouldn't have been necessary. I think that is one of the reasons so many 5s were given out. Who wants to constantly fight leadership?
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Well I agree with you guys that too many "5"s are given out and A LOT of people don't deserve it... but anyways there have been announcements coming way higher ups in fixing the inflation. They are now deciding to change the EPR form and enforcing Quotas with each rate number, which is suppose to start showing face sometime in the next fiscal year. Also TIG+TIS no longer will play a factor in Promotion and it will be purely on the weight of EPRs + Test Scores icon_rolleyes.gif. Now that ALL services are making their transitions back to a Peacetime service by enforcing some BS regulations, I'm guessing this is another way for the AF to cut the fat.

I could see the quotas being a necessary change, but for it to be a proper working system is should be quoted down to the element/shop level and everyone is reviewed annual at the same time. IMO there should be special exceptions for Servicemembers that are "deployed" and members that are in a special high speed secret squirrel assignment where only the best and brightest are picked. Also Servicemembers that serve in truly integrated joint assignments, since I know many that have a Civilian boss or a Supervisor from a different branch. I hope this change would cut the CRAP of fluffing up Bullets for EPRs, or fluff in general... but since we are a very Political Correct branch I don't see the fluff going away.
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, a lot of commanders are going to require the 5 rating to be only a certain percentage.
    This —when a certain percentage are required to be at the bottom — is a stack ranking system. The rest is just a scoring system.

The problem with stack ranking is it will ensure employees compete rather than collaborate, and at that they will try to position themselves in teams where the competition is easier. Instead of getting the best working with the best, you get them competing with the worst.
  • Options
    tjh87tjh87 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Instead of getting the best working with the best, you get them competing with the worst.

Exactly. No longer will I be willing to give credit to fellow employees for catching that last error or their input on an issue. If my job is on the line, I am taking credit for everything and giving credit for nothing. I'm not sharing my projects with anyone or letting anyone know how I fixed problem X. It all becomes about job security. I can't see how this improves ANY business model. It may weed out some poor performers in the beginning, but in the long run, you'll be hurting your own business by removing decent performers just because SOMEONE had to be ranked at the bottom.
    2013 Goals: /COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd CCNP, [ ] CCDA, [ ] VCA-DCV
    2014 Goals: [ ] CCDP, [ ] CCNA Security
    , [ ] CCNP Security
    2015 Goals: [ ] Finish BS in CIS,
    [ ] CCIE R&S Written
    2016 Goals:
    [ ] CCIE R&S