Options

Virtualization software to use for labs

SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for software to use for 70-680 labs, I have W8 core(which doesnt include Hyper-v), I can upgrade to Pro for $80 to get this, I know I can get VMWare Player for free which will do a similar/same job, some job postings I see say must have experience with Hyper -V(I have no experience setting up virtual machines at the moment) would the setting up of machines in H-V get me that much more experience that I could take into employment, or say in an interview that I've experience in H-V on a home lab that it might suffice, or is there very little difference between both that it wouldn't be that beneficial? I don't mind paying the money atall if I thaught it would benefit me in the long run. Are there any features in either that would benefit setting up a home lab?

Comments

• Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Good Afternoon,
    Most workplaces I know don't use Hyper-V to virtualize their machines, they use VMWare.
    What are the stats on your computer? Is it even capable of support virtualization?
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Good Afternoon,
    Most workplaces I know don't use Hyper-V to virtualize their machines, they use VMWare.
    What are the stats on your computer? Is it even capable of support virtualization?

Yeah, thats what I thaught, its just that I saw it on some job specs. It should be fine, its an i7 , 8GB RAM laptop
  • Options
    I believe windows 8 limits you to 2 hyper-v machines. It should work, but I would do a desktop for the servers if you have one available. Of course testing branch cache and direct access can be kind of a pain in the behind.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, would there be a limit to VM ware player machines?
  • Options
    Not that i'm aware of, but you'll be limited by ram/processors.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We use Hyper-V quite extensively in our environment and so do many other companies. However most companies using Hyper-V will be using it in a HA Setup, that is to say a Hyper-V cluster. I personally have used just about everything out there when it comes to virtualization platforms and I personally don't care for VMware player and its limitations and slowness. (its been a little while since I have used it) I would say either go for Hyper-V or use Virtual box. If you got money to blow then buy VMware Workstation. Also I would jump that laptop up to 16gb of ram and an ssd if possible. Your CPU really shouldn't be an issue unless you are running 8 or more vm's at a time as the vm's won't be taking away an entire core from your laptop it just allocates the resources to it if it needs it which it won't in a lab environment.
  • Options
    I agree with vmware player being slow. I have a desktop that I am running vsphere on. I've used Hyper-V and it works, but it lacks some of the features of hyper-v in a large corporate environment. I have contact with a lot of big pharma and hospitals and none of them that I know are running hyper-v, they all use vsphere if they are virtualizing at all.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Upgrade your system to get better overall performance, especially when you start to use it for VM's.

What OS would be best to use while testing for the 70-680? I hear Enterprise or Ultimate (Reasons to use either or would be for Branch Cache, Direct Access, etc) Correct me if Im wrong.
  • Options
    Ok , so overall , no real benefit to using Hyper -V in a home setup as its different to the corporate version? I will probably use Oracle so. Thanks
  • Options
    I don't believe you can easily get a free trial of corporate anymore, so ultimate will be your best choice.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    HeavyHorseHeavyHorse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used virtual box. It's free and simple to use.
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd use Hyper V if you're fortunate enough to have access to it.
    If you dont, Virtualbox is brilliant, free, easy to use and configure.
    VMware player just runs really slowly.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I prepared for my 70-680 and 70-685 using VirtualBox. Then I moved up to Hyper-V for the Microsoft Virtualization (Server 2008 R2) tests. Now have advanced to VMware's ESXI and Workstation products. If you are new to virtualization, any of these products will be fine. If you want to go down the server administration route, Workstation (easiest to work with) or ESXi (harder) might be preferable. That's because you can nest hypervisors (i.e. have a couple of guest VM's running Hyper-V/ESXi) -- all under an umbrella hypervisor, thus running everything on a single hardware platform.