CEH v8 passed!... Next!

richymartinrichymartin Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed the CEH V8 last month after a 5 day bootcamp and a weeks self study.

Course tutor was very good, clearly a lot of real work experience in IT security before going to lecturing. The exam however was a little disappoint in quality. Had a couple of questions asking me to look at the code extract below and select the correct answer... the code extract was missing!!

I notified the test center who reported it back to EC-Council, still passed with 92% so i'm happy :)

Now, the age old question! Whats next.... I want to move to IT Security Analysis (obv including some pen testing) so I think I should do the CISM first, then maybe CREST CRT if I want more of a pen testing portfolio.

Most jobs I see online ask for CISSP, is it just one of those qualifications that gets you interviews but doesn't really stand for much?

Comments

• Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats on the pass! Since you are thinking of CISM/CISSP, I must ask - how much experience do you have?

Getting the CISSP will be great! It not only gets you interviews but is highly respected. The quality and content of the cert may be questionable but what will most likely not be questioned is the career benefits that it brings.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • richymartinrichymartin Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your reply Master Of Puppets!

Around 6 years in total in Systems Administration and Testing. I've covered a broad range of areas as a sysadmin so I'm sure ill prove more than the required amount of CBKs.

Are you considering it too? I see you have CCNA Security, I was looking at that too!
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Right now I don't meet the experience requirements for the CISSP but once I do, I won't waste any time. I think it's a great asset regardless of the infosec niche you are in(although I have seen it benefit people outside of infosec too).

CCNA Security is a nice introduction to network security. With your experience it shouldn't be much trouble achieving. The NP track after that is where it gets good.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet! Good Job! icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • richymartinrichymartin Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I might look at it after CISSP.

Managed to find someone who is ICS2 certified today and they've agreed to endorse me, better get book buying!!

Thanks for the reply guys!