Options

Expected pay interview question.

Any suggestions of what I should say when this question comes up in the inteview..

My Experience: A+, Network+, CCNA training. 8 months tech experience.

Job Info:

• Accurate Diagnosis & Implementation of Hardware & Software Solutions
• Software Installation
• Software Repairs ( including removal of malware, rootkits, and repair of OS corruption)
• Repair of Mobile Devices, such as IPADS, tablets, androids, etc. (including screen
replacement, resets, etc.)
• Computer Hardware Installation (including motherboards, power supplies, optical drives, ram,
LCD screens and custom builds)
• Network Installations
• Game Console repairs
• On-line Customer Support
• Direct Interaction with customer base via telephone or face to face
• Service calls to homes and/or business to troubleshoot and resolve computer (hard-ware /
software or computer related devices

Qualifications:
• At least 3 -5 years of related experience
• CompTIA A+ Certification/ Network Certification
• Proficient in Technology Repair
• Self-Starter
• Excellent Communication Skills (oral and written)
• Trustworthy, Honest
• Excellent Customer Service Skills
• Dependable & Willing to abide by company guidelines

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you currently have a job? I usually say 10-15k more than what I currently make.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    I just left a job making 10 /hr
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    swisschris104:

A question I want to ask is this: what do you want to be doing?

This looks like a job in a computer repair shop that might do house calls.

You could be looking at between 15 and 30 per hour, I would guess. (this is only after searching on Monster for Comptia A+ in Chicago, IL).

You just have to decide what your "walk away" number is. Maybe you can start negotiating at 20, and decide you don't want to go below 15. Whatever you decide, make sure you have a clear "plan" on where you are going with this.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    FloOz wrote: »
    Do you currently have a job? I usually say 10-15k more than what I currently make.

At the lower levels, 10-15K more than what you make is a decent bump.
    Once you get to a certain level, 10K-15K more is less than a 10 percent raise.

In this particular case, I believe swisschris could wind up doubling his prior wage, or increasing it by 50%, depending upon how negotiations go.

The major caution I have is that swisschris should look to improve beyond this level, as there are probably more people out there that can do that job, than what you're doing, for example.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)