Options

It starts… today!

richymartinrichymartin Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Finally got the go-ahead from my employer today, they are going to pay for the CISSP exam(only).icon_study.gif

I've been looking at books etc online, found the great thread to get some ebooks for $1.

Is the CISSP 11th Hour 1st addition still relevant? I know there is a 2nd addition out now...

Same goes for Eric Conrads CISSP Study Guide v1, there is a v2 out in Jan - is it worth it?

Im going to be doing self study as of today, starting by getting a copy of the syllabus and creating a study schedule spreadsheet(everyones friend) to see how far in the future I should book.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

kind regards

Richy

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the test this past Tuesday using the first edition of 11th hour and the 2nd edition of Conrads Study Guide. I recommend them both, plus CCCure/Transcender.
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Rather than offering up a bunch of different books, and resources I would advise that take a little time and go through the different threads of people passing and read what they used and read about their experience. I found doing this was very helpful. You will find the staples in a study plan such as the Shon Harris 5th/6th edition, Conrad Study Guide 2nd, Conrad 11th hour, CCCure, Transcender, and others. But you will pick up some of the more obscure resources, and the experiences alone can give you some insight.

I found that utilizing or modifying some of the study habits that others used were very helpful in my journey to the CISSP. Sorry for not giving you what you are looking for directly, but there is just so much in the terms of material, study habits, and advice.

Good luck!
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply guys, been reading a lot of posts on here and think I've got a good idea on the books & exam aids to use...

Thanks again, ill keep you posted!icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Well I've had to put a bit of a spurt on for the CISSP! We are expecting our first baby in June, so ideally the exam needs to be completed before then!

I'm currently reading the CISSP Study guide, first 2 chapters were a breeze and got 19/20 then 20/20 for the exam questions at the end of them. I'm guessing that's pretty normal??
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Richy,

June is plenty of time, just make sure you hit the study materials hard for a few months and you'll be fine I'm sure! Congrats on the baby and good luck, keep us posted.
  • Options
    zxbane wrote: »
    Richy,

June is plenty of time, just make sure you hit the study materials hard for a few months and you'll be fine I'm sure! Congrats on the baby and good luck, keep us posted.

Thank you :) absolutely over the moon, hoping to raise the UKs youngest ITSec expert!
  • Options
    OK progress so far, i'm up to Chapter 10, PKI and Cryptographic Applications.

Hasn't been too tough so far, I know my knowledge is lacking in some areas, mainly around the life-cycle aspects. Networking was fine as I work with that extensively every day, exploits are OK too thanks to the recent CEH its all still fresh.

I can't help but think this book is a little too detailed in areas that aren't required? Going to order the eleventh hour and the other Conrad book next week. (kindle or paperback...?)

Still getting upwards of 80% at the end of chapter 20 questions.

Staying positive and motivated... lack of motivation is going to be the biggest killer with this one.

Rich