Options

InfraGard

2»

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds interesting but I am just concerned about my employer, need to read more about this.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...and that would be the only one I've seen so far. There is definitely a benefit in knowing your regional Federal agents by name. Especially before an incident occurs.

On that note, what benefit is any IS group? This will now be one of two that I attend. Most of the meetings are learning experience and qualify for CPE/CEU.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    On that note, what benefit is any IS group? This will now be one of two that I attend. Most of the meetings are learning experience and qualify for CPE/CEU.

That is what I am thinking, now that I am done with school I noticed I have to start putting some regular effort to earn CPE. My only problem is when I Google Infragard I get a lot of conspiracy sites with really attention grabbing headlines. "I" know the conspiracy sites but some people believe anything online so hopefully possible employers looking stuff up have reasonable critical thinking skills.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I applied two years ago, again 3 or 4 months ago. No response yet.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Thanks for the bump, it served as a reminder to commit to this. I participated in a CTF Infragard coordinated exercise a few years ago and it is single handedly the event that opened my eyes to the importance of IT security. I'll hit up some of my local FBI contacts if it takes too long icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just got my acceptance notification email. Hopefully, it will be an interesting group here in Denver.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MSP-IT wrote: »

Well, to be honest I get more value from my local ISSA chapter and the content is MUCH more interesting. This of course could easily vary depending on your chapter.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My logic is that being in a major city chances are the program is more robust. Looks like I will never know.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Been a few months for me as well. I'll wait a few more months before I poke members I know. Already cleared so dunno what the hold up would be.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Saga is over. Reached out again, turned out the Chicago coordinator changed at some point earlier this year. They put me in touch with the new one and all is good. Allegedly I am "the newest member of InfraGard, a community of individuals partnered to protect our nation's critical infrastructure". That almost sounds like I am Jack Bauer. Doors will now open and champagne will fall from heaven icon_smile.gif

Dam it Chloe!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I applied two years ago, again 3 or 4 months ago. No response yet.

I just got my acceptance email yesterday afternoon and just remembered posting in this thread. So based on which application they finally accepted, it took 2 or 3 years.

Have patience. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    I just got my acceptance email yesterday afternoon and just remembered posting in this thread. So based on which application they finally accepted, it took 2 or 3 years.

Have patience. icon_cool.gif

Wow. I think it took about 6 weeks before I received acceptance from the Dallas-Fort Worth chapter. I try to attend every possible function. Trying for FBI Citizens Academy next.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Ive been to 3-4 meetings so far and they have been a snooze fest. Not seeing much value at all. Hope you get a better experience.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got accepted in the beginning of October, haven't been to any meetings yet.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have been in for about a year, attended zero conferences (I want to, no time).

Anyone know the value of the info contained within the "flash advisories" they send out occasionally? I mean is this cutting edge news or usually something that they have finally acknowledge as a threat?
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I have been in for about a year, attended zero conferences (I want to, no time).

Anyone know the value of the info contained within the "flash advisories" they send out occasionally? I mean is this cutting edge news or usually something that they have finally acknowledge as a threat?

I haven't seen much that is cutting edge news.

Meetings/functions have been pretty cool IMO.

Got to have personal conversations with two Special Agents in Charge, as well as some pretty cool demonstrations.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i applied today
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't seen much that is cutting edge news.

Meetings/functions have been pretty cool IMO.

Got to have personal conversations with two Special Agents in Charge, as well as some pretty cool demonstrations.

Yeah I really need to go. The next one is the 12th from 8 to noon...but its so hard to get time off for something not family or medical related.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I applied about a month ago and was accepted. So welcome I guess.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    I've never seen any FLASH containing anything that I haven't seen before through one of the threat intel services I have access to.

Edit to say that those living in major cities can also look to join the Secret Service's Electronic Crimes Task Force. See http://www.secretservice.gov/investigation/#field
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I've never seen any FLASH containing anything that I haven't seen before through one of the threat intel services I have access to.

My coworker and I talked about this the other day. We're usually aware of whatever is contained in the FLASH a week to two weeks before it's posted.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Edit to say that those living in major cities can also look to join the Secret Service's Electronic Crimes Task Force. See Investigation

can you join ECTF like InfraGard? Or is it an actual job? there is one in my city apparently, but all I see is career stuff
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    ECTF is way easier to join than InfraGard. Once you find the right local office they can direct you to the process. It works just like InfraGard in the sense that there is regular communication/intel through email and they do quarterly meetings.
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Took less than a month for me. This shortly after it started I believe. I also have prior military background and hold an active clearance.

From what I recall, they had questions regarding drug use, felonies, misdemeanors, etc. So, if you say yes to any of those than expect a wait, if anything at all.

Also, the DC area chapter is fairly active and I'm sure that impacted the turn around time.
  • Options
    fullcrowmoonfullcrowmoon Member Posts: 172
    I think it took about 4 weeks for me, in the DC area. To be honest I put in the application and then forgot about it, so the acceptance email was a surprise to me, but I know it wasn't more than a month of waiting.
    "It's so stimulating being your hat!"
    "... but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked."
  • Options
    my acceptance was less than a month
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark