Options

Interviewing for a Network Engineer Position % 100 Travel

2»

Comments

• Options
    oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Huh, i totally skipped after i read you were not gonna be paid for the training.

No way! Rent got to get paid mehn. This kinda job be illegal. Ha!
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management
  • Options
    Chris_LChris_L Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got this same exact opportunity here in the bay area and I am thinking about signing up for it. My phone interview is coming up this Wednesday.

However I will not do it should their be a contract I have to sign where I have to pay back any training.
  • Options
    I realize this thread is a couple of years but OP did you ever end up accepting this opportunity with the unpaid training?
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    As someone what traveled 100% of the time for 18 months (self employed) I'd also consider the issue of 100% travel. Sounds great at first, living in hotels, always on the road, but it is tiring. And you need to enjoy isolation because you'll get lots of it.

Secondly, a week of intense training is one thing. 2 months is another. You'll burn out and learn nothing. Sounds strange to me & there must be a catch. If you want to make big money & travel, go overseas & work in Saudi Arabia or something. It sucks but you'll be paid well.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't, just didn't feel right. With that said I just saw the same position with the same company and they are now paying $12 an hour for training and up to $25 an hour upon completion, seems the non-paid training wasn't working out.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    I just had my phone interview today, and the recruiter was telling me this 2-3 month training will be unpaid.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    don't do it!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    don't do it!

Well in my case it's acceptable risk.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it for a company with initials AT? If so, I was looking into it and seems like a legit company with some decent reviews on glassdoor. They always seem to be hiring around here so probably a lot of turnover.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Is it for a company with initials AT? If so, I was looking into it and seems like a legit company with some decent reviews on glassdoor. They always seem to be hiring around here so probably a lot of turnover.

Yup, that's exactly them. I imagine the turnover is mostly from all the travel. I am single with no family commitments right now so I can do all the away time.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of the complaints I read were wish there were more local jobs. The travel is probably the reason. I don't know if I'd take on 2+ months of unpaid training, I'd make sure there was a paid position written and signed on paper before training.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Chris_L wrote: »
    Well in my case it's acceptable risk.

how so? i'd NEVER do unpaid training...in essence, you're losing money. You're paying for transportation(gas/bus/train/etc) & food, while they don't pay you nada??? nah son, couldn't be me doing that...
    Link Me
  • Options
    how so? i'd NEVER do unpaid training...in essence, you're losing money. You're paying for transportation(gas/bus/train/etc) & food, while they don't pay you nada??? nah son, couldn't be me doing that...

Well at the moment, I'm currently unemployed, so I am not giving up any on the clock hours at a job to go attend their training.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is the only reason why companies pull this stuff, because there's always someone out there that doesn't mind.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What's that saying a sucker is born every minute?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This is the only reason why companies pull this stuff, because there's always someone out there that doesn't mind.

word up!
    What's that saying a sucker is born every minute?

basically!
    Link Me
  • Options
    I realize there's a few negatives. But everyone has to start somewhere. It's real easy to criticize someone rather than provide any constructive alternatives.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Any other normal job is certainly a better alternative.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Any other normal job is certainly a better alternative.

true...only way this could even be acceptable(and thats a stretch), is if one gets a part time job to at least have some sort of income to cover expenses during this 2-3 months of unpaid and "free training"
    Link Me
  • Options
    true...only way this could even be acceptable(and thats a stretch), is if one gets a part time job to at least have some sort of income to cover expenses during this 2-3 months of unpaid and "free training"

and that's exactly what I have, the financial resources to cover this short period of time.
  • Options
    tech209510tech209510 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Chris_L did you accept the position? Im also in your predicament and am willing to do the unpaid training thanks to my resources within the area, and armed with the info from these helpful posters on asking for a signed agreement of guaranteed work after the training for the 2 years we agree to work for them, and also a agreement on the pay and vacation info. But my main question is are you working for them now? and how is it going so far?
  • Options
    AnthonymarbutAnthonymarbut Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OP bugzy3188

did you ever follow through with this?