Options

What was your first IT job?

ecuadraecuadra Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
What was your first IT job without any IT job experience?

I just got my A+ certification but I feel that is simply not enough to get a Help Desk job. Most if not all in my area want Networking experience which I won't start taking network classes until next year. I will take my 70-680 exam in December. I am looking at geek squad or micro center right now, maybe Direct TV satellite installations as first IT job.

Comments

• Options
    mimic51mimic51 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first IT job was Help Desk at a 24/7/365 environment. This was a datacenter and it SUX!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hybrid role data entry and password reset ninja for mainframes, as400's and other midranges. Also did reallllly low level admin type duties. Restarted print jobs, database listeners, other jobs etc. It actually wasn't bad messing around in the servers.
  • Options
    oebankoleoebankole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Help Desk at a College. icon_sad.gif
    B.Sc - Information Systems Management
  • Options
    kenopkenop Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't have any certs and was coming from my first Any job which was KFC, lol.

Got a job selling computer components (business to business) for a small company in a warehouse park. Within a month or so I was taking care of the office network and desktops, another month and I was making updates to the company website. (making it from awful to slightly less awful haha).

Moved on to Help Desk places after that, which was the real place to ramp up your learning in the "real world" of IT.
    BVC1 CTV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 WFV1 TBP1 EAV1 EBV1 EUP1 EUC1 CRV1 BOV1 DJV1 EUC1 CVV1 CJV1 TPV1 TXC1 TXP1 TYC1 TYP1 CAPSTONE BNC1 AGC1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1 CLC1 GAC1 IWC1 IWT1 RIT1 CIC1 CJC1 TCP1 TJC1 TJP1
  • Options
    Malita215Malita215 Member Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working as a Desktop Services intern at a hospital.
    Master's in Cyber & Information Security | B.S. Information Technology: Information Security
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was floor support for a telecom provider, helped the guys on the phones with issues and submitted trouble tickets for the systems they used. I would consider it to be IT only in the barest sense of the word however.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was the "IT intern" for a furniture store which had me doing all kinds of nonsense from helping people send an email to helping deploy sales terminals in a new outlet store and networking them back to the main office.

First full-time gig was help desk / desktop support for the company I'm currently with. Been working up from there.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ground Radio Repairman in the Marine Corps. As a tech, I worked on PC's and field telephones, and as an occasional operator I did a lot of packet radio.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @OP - good luck in finding that first IT job. Any of the options that you listed while you are still in school sounds like a good place to start. The key is just to get started. My first IT related job was data entry on a PDP 11/70 and running the print queues. If you are wondering what a PDP 11 looks like - there is one on display in the Smithsonian.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    My first job was a junior sys admin job where all I did was surf internet all day, for 6 months straight, because they didn't have any work for me. It was a co-op program. Later on I really repented wasting my time as I just wasted 8 hours a day surfing 4chan and gaming sites when I could have studied for certifications and picked up a programming language. Even my boss felt bad and he apologized on the final day.

In another internship co-op, I worked at GlaxoSmithKline as a network analyst, and they had a lot of real work where I was also introduced to networking in IT.
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    First IT gig, INFOSEC GS-11.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My first IT job was a Computer Systems Intern which then lead to a full time position as a Desktop Engineer. The qualifications I had at the time were my B.S. in CSIT and A+ cert
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    First was I worked for Firedog (Circuit City) in South Carolina.
    Then when moving back to Illinois I got a job as a Jr. Systems Admin for a small company (Was the only guy, suck pay, suck hours, but got good hands on experience)
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    First one is my current one - network security. It isn't limited to only security but also everything network-related because our network team is not that big. Mainly security though. It was hard getting this one but it was worth it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.