How much do you actually work.....at work?

Just curious, out of your full day how much time do you actually spend working?

....It would be interesting to insert your job title, but for privacy concerns I understand if you would choose not to disclose that info.

Comments

• da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I am a simulation lab manager and my workload is very sporadic to put it lightly. Sometimes I have more work than I can fit into an 8 hour day then there are times where I am watching paint dry. For my area it depends on projects going on, budget, what the rest of my people are doing, chain of command getting wild hairs in weird places and so on. I think the uncertainty is what I actually really like about my job.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I probably do easy 50+ hours of solid work a week. Not like my military days when I used to do about 5-6 hours of solid work (the rest was social media and smoke breaks).

I'm a pentester for a security consulting firm. Its the reporting that kills ya icon_rolleyes.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It depends on the week. Sometimes I'm working non stop and sometimes it's relatively slow. Especially this time of year if there aren't any projects trying to be completed by the end of the year.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Depends on how many hot projects I have going at once. When the projects slow down, I do a lot of new product testing so I'm not idle but it's slower.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My work rate is actually very high. When I'm not in the midst of a development cycle, I'm engaged in various activities to help keep my technical skills sharp. There's no need to waste the client's time on frivolous things when I can utilize my down time on something I should be doing anyway.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everyday is honestly different. Some days are very slow so I use that time to study. Some days are super busy and I end up working 8+ hours. Lately though things around here have been slow.
  • tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sadly, nowhere near as much as I'd like. When I took this position about 70% of it was user account management in AD/Exchange and folder permissions on the nas. I've automated much of it with powershell so I tend to have a lot of free time to read... Not much happening in the way of change in the department right now so things are pretty stagnant when it comes to new toys and learning opportunities unfortunately.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    As of lately maybe 3-4 hrs work then remaining hours I study.

As everyone else said other days it is a "Dear Thor is it time to go home already?"
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One of my previous positions, when I worked at a NOC was maybe 1 hour a day out of a 12 hour shift was actually working unless something major broke. The rest of the time was spent reading/watching tv and movies/playing video games.

My new position has pretty much been non stop work since I started in March.

I enjoy my work now a million times more then I did before. Looking back though I totally wasted all that extra time I had.
  • Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    Prepare to be shocked...less than 20% and I make over $70k a year + good benefits. I hate every second of coming to this place...If not for my own personal education at home, I would have forgotten everything about IT. I'm planning on quitting before the new year and looking for something more meaningful and beneficial for my future.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    out of a 9 - 11 hour day I spend at least 8 - 10 hours actually working. I may get 1 hour of total downtime not including my lunch. I usually walk for 30 minutes at work a day to get up and stretch clear my mind etc. We are in the midst of developing a product which is a great product but takes a lot of effort.
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Success101, I feel where you're coming from. It's important to keep your skills sharp in IT otherwise you might find yourself unable to progress in your career and sometimes even unable to stay in your current role.
  • Cpl.KlingerCpl.Klinger Member Posts: 159
    I'm transitioning to a new team at work, so things are changing, but before in an 8 hour shift, I probably was "working" 35-45 minutes out of every hour. All depends upon demand. Such is the life of support desk.
    "If you can't fix it, you don't own it"
    "Great things have small beginnings."

• BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Title "Remote Site Administrator"
    Essentially I am responsible for a "secondary" site of around 100 users, along with 5 other remote sites (hence the title). Take care of everything IT/phone/wireless/virtual/san/backup/dr/helpdesk related and work with a team of 8 in washington state who are at the "main" site which has 300ish users.

I probably work between 7-9 hours a day depending on the load and then field emails from the "main" site till 8pm my time (5pm their time).

Make about 20% less than if I worked farther in the city but the job is generally laid back and the commute isn't terrible. Probably could get more but doing learning where I can and starting a masters so not looking for a change or more stressful position right now.

Better than when I worked in the Navy, 12+ hour shifts, 7 days a week, 8 months a year. No complaints.
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    amcnow wrote: »
    My work rate is actually very high. When I'm not in the midst of a development cycle, I'm engaged in various activities to help keep my technical skills sharp. There's no need to waste the client's time on frivolous things when I can utilize my down time on something I should be doing anyway.

I heard somewhere the best server admins are the lazy server admins. To be a lazy server admins you should know powershell so you can automate your work icon_smile.gif
  • 403Forbidden403Forbidden Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I'm not writing scripts to do my job for me I'm playing EvE online. Probably about 2 hours of scripting a day, 4 hours of EvE, 2 hours of reading/study.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yup, Office Space quote time:

Bob Slydell: You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah.

Bob Slydell: Great.

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

You know I had to go there! icon_lol.gif

I would say I put in about 10-11 hours a day. 8-9 in the office and 2-3 at home.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the military, some days I have absolutely nothing to do except for scrub an email that comes in daily, depending on whats in that email determines if I have to work for maybe an hour. Other days like today I'm working non-stop, started at 6:00 am and left the office at 6:00 pm. When I'm supporting a mission it's usually shifts of 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, made the mistake of calculating my pay once after a shift ..wayyyy below minimum wage.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This about sums it up for me:

extra_large_image32386.jpg
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    90-100%

if I haven't got something technical to occupied me I get bored and depressed. I have 5-10 major projects on the go. About 15-20 current mini projects. (Building network refresh or core device upgrade) and to many side projects to count. If I have down time then there is always something interesting to do.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Success101 wrote: »
    Prepare to be shocked...less than 20% and I make over $70k a year + good benefits. I hate every second of coming to this place...If not for my own personal education at home, I would have forgotten everything about IT. I'm planning on quitting before the new year and looking for something more meaningful and beneficial for my future.

Success101 I am the same as you. My current place I work about 25% and it is driving me nuts but it pays well with good benefits. I am using the time to get my CCNP done since I can study during my down time then will start looking as well probably about April.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    this about sums it up for me:

extra_large_image32386.jpg

+1 here
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As a breakfix engineer it can vary. On night shifts, I probably don't do an hour of actual work. However, there are some night shifts where I am busy on a P1 for 6-7-8-9-10 hours.

Day shifts are fairly busy all the time though.
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    This about sums it up for me:

Are you serious, is this what you do during business hours... i cant believe you have 30 mins to prepare to go home in your company. You must be working in a very big company or you have a cool boss.

Any way for the OP, I am still trying to find my feet in this industry so i am being given task that i can be able handle but it takes me a quarter of a day to complete my day to day task and we sometimes get down time, but you know you got to be always on standby if you on help-desk. So on a busy day i work 3 quarters of a day.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I work more after business hours. Just the nature of the work I do.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ QHalo my boss does something similar to this. He is consistently in the office building QA reports (really complex ones) even our actuary has trouble understanding them they are so off the chart, but their end product is golden.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Days are for planning, documenting or attending meetings. The real work happens after everyone goes home. The good news is that as I've progressed in my career and pay I've found I've actually had a work level decrease. I attribute that to experience and proper planning. If you're actually working 80 hours a week, I'd say you're probably doing it wrong.