Options

How to get to 100k by 30?

Comments

• Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »

A lot of my coworkers will give **** when I mention daily studies, pursuing new skills and off-hour classes "For Useless Things". I've learned it's best to keep it under wraps and let the work speak for itself.

So far so good.

I have seen this too. I have worked an internship and now in a admin position, must don't study on their free time. I see many dont care for certs or growing, happy on the path they are heading. I keep pushing myself and want my work to be year above anyone else.
  • Options
    ILUVITILUVIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icebeam wrote: »
    You probably are getting paid peanuts. If you can't get more where you are at, start looking.

When I look at your certs it seems like you should be making more. Remember you never make what "you" deserve to make you make what you negotiate to make. Many times I have seen people with more information than me make less because they did not speak up.

Lets say you are in a job making 50k and the average on pay scale or whatever is 60k. You might try to get 60k and you might even be happy with 55k. But if your employer is saying you do great work. Then you're better than average. let me repeat this "YOU ARE BETTER THAN AVERAGE" You want 70k as 60k is for AVERAGE. I have used this explanation in the past with employers and it has worked well.

My favorite thing to do is go into a performance review and hear all the great things and say "so i'm above average at my job" and they will always say yes! followed by more great statements about me and then I say "so how are we going to get me on above average pay for this position". Nothing is better than watching your boss's face as he realizes he has to pay you more now by his own words.

If i'm performing better than average why do I want average pay on those sites? and would I accept anything less than above average pay.... NO!

Just my .2 cents.

Thank you for sharing your update. This gives me even greater motivation to keep going towards my goal of 75K by early-next year, currently at 58k. I'm in my 3rd year of IT, a title of helpdesk lead plus other non-official duties (Cross between SharePoint Admin/SharePoint developer) and also currently getting groomed into management. My annual review is in a few weeks. Your comment about negotiating pay with the "better than average" approach is genius. This is exactly what I needed to help me for my review. icon_cheers.gif
    Goals for 2014: 70-687, 70-688 :cheers:
  • Options
    I have 4 years till I turn 30.. I dont see this happening, nut still a great goal to shoot for.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    If money is the only thing that matters to you, then you won't get that haha
    It is all about passion.

It's about quality of life.
  • Options
    icebeamicebeam Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »

+1 to this
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    phoeneous wrote: »

Yeah but money is the biggest component in the quality of life equation. For me it's about balance between work, friends, family, personal development and hobbies.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    29 hoping to break the 40k... icon_sad.gif
    Took a pay cut to work in an amazing place 2 yrs a go and get exposed to a lot of stuff, hopefully will pay off.

In your case.. study, hard work, socialize, network around, evolve and repeat all previous again and again.
    meh
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »
    Yeah but money is the biggest component in the quality of life equation. For me it's about balance between work, friends, family, personal development and hobbies.

And beer, can't forget beer.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bloogen wrote: »
    I agree completely. I came to write the exact same thing.

I disagree. A Master's Degree in anything should provide a level of logical thinking and writing ability beyond simple certifications. Would never hire anybody without a degree.
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do not confuse lack of school or degree to lack of education or knowledge. My opinion on the topic comes from my own and the experience of others who have met and exceeded the objective of the OP and not theory.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To me, 100k in a technical role is about 'doing' and productivity. I don't care how smart you are, or how talented; what is your output? That should be the focus IMO.
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I had this same arbitrary goal, and I didn't think I would make it, but I just accepted a new job that put me there. A few points I wanted to make.

1. Adjust for inflation, typically this is regarded as 2.5/3% per year, so the original post I think said this was a goal he set 10 years ago, 100K when I was 15 bought more than it does today now that I am 30.

2. No one thing will get you there.

3. Money isn't worth being miserable.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    YFZblu wrote: »
    what is your output? .

This is the most important factor in all of this--are you profitable, or do you save the company money?

In any instance, your compensation will be commensurate with your financial productivity...it's all business at the end of the day.
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ILUVIT wrote: »
    Thank you for sharing your update. This gives me even greater motivation to keep going towards my goal of 75K by early-next year, currently at 58k. I'm in my 3rd year of IT, a title of helpdesk lead plus other non-official duties (Cross between SharePoint Admin/SharePoint developer) and also currently getting groomed into management. My annual review is in a few weeks. Your comment about negotiating pay with the "better than average" approach is genius. This is exactly what I needed to help me for my review. icon_cheers.gif

What's your next step?
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    It is not how much you make, but how much you keep. I'll never hit that 150K that someone here posted as a goal. I just hit six figures for the 2nd time, but I am about to retire in a few years. I will have my third rental paid off by then, I owe about $9400 on it.I could actually pay it off with a credit card now! But the point is, I managed my money. I bought my first house when I was 22 and making peanuts. It was condemned and took me 9 months before the city would let me move into it. I'm on my 6th house now, sold the first two, but I never made these figures I see being talked about here. I concentrated on the day job and every time I accumulated enough for a down, I bought a new house. Times have changed, but if you spend every nickel that comes in the door, it won't matter what you make.
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    It is not how much you make, but how much you keep. but if you spend every nickel that comes in the door, it won't matter what you make.

I agree with 100%,

whats the age you retiring at?
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I am 64 now. We''l see what I feel like at 65. I noticed "Inland Empire", that is my home, but I am currently working in Monterey.
  • Options
    ILUVITILUVIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YesOffense wrote: »
    What's your next step?

I am thinking cross into either Project Management or Business Systems Analyst. We will see how the next 6 months play out.
    Goals for 2014: 70-687, 70-688 :cheers:
  • Options
    hustlerb01hustlerb01 Banned Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you guys are not comparing oranges with oranges. Ofcourse if your in a area where the cost of living is high you will get a higher salary it is not fair to compare that with other places.

You should compare your salary with the average amount a person gets in that area, if you are making over 50 percent then all good
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    hustlerb01 wrote: »
    you guys are not comparing oranges with oranges. Ofcourse if your in a area where the cost of living is high you will get a higher salary it is not fair to compare that with other places.

You should compare your salary with the average amount a person gets in that area, if you are making over 50 percent then all good

This is true, I'd take $90k in Jacksonville, FL over $100k in California, Seattle, DMV area, NY or anywhere NE USA for that matter.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    This is true, I'd take $90k in Jacksonville, FL over $100k in California, Seattle, DMV area, NY or anywhere NE USA for that matter.

Yeah but California and Seattle don't have Cannibals =) j/k
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I got to 100k+ at 29 in Texas with no degree by learning the answers to the questions our customers asked but no-one had an answer to. If you can find a way to contributed to sales they literally throw money at you.

Learn how to be the tech guy every sales guy wants on his calls. You do this by having people skills and by having technical knowledge. Also, don't be afraid to switch jobs once you mastered the technology.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    Yeah but California and Seattle don't have Cannibals =) j/k

Hey we haven't had any lately!
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    If you can find a way to contributed to sales they literally throw money at you.

Do you work for Jordan Belfort?
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Do you work for Jordan Belfort?

Nope, why do you ask?
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got to 100k+ at 29 in Texas with no degree by learning the answers to the questions our customers asked but no-one had an answer to. If you can find a way to contributed to sales they literally throw money at you.

Learn how to be the tech guy every sales guy wants on his calls. You do this by having people skills and by having technical knowledge. Also, don't be afraid to switch jobs once you mastered the technology.

Very inspiring post
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Nope, why do you ask?

Just poking fun at your incorrect use of the word 'literally'.
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    Just poking fun at your incorrect use of the word 'literally'.

Always a smart a$$ around. Gotta love these forums. Where's UnixGuy to chime in with his geniusness?
  • Options
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    Where's UnixGuy to chime in with his geniusness?

I was just having a little fun, no need to be so sour.
    Also, I think you mean *genius. FTFY
    WGU MSISA
  • Options
    vlad06vlad06 Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You lot are lucky living in the US if you can hit 100k by 30 in the IT field.