Options

Applied science degree is it worth it?

MrgonzalezMrgonzalez Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Network Administrator and Support AAS this is a associate degree and will this help me toward my goal for information security analyst http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1122.00 and where can I pursue my bachelor with this?

Comments

• Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have two answers to your question, and maybe this is just my opinion as I cannot speak for others.

I do think an AAS is better to have than not, and will hurt in searching for a job.

However, in my college experience an AAS degree was not transferable. So if continuing education if desired is more difficult. In this case I would opt for the AS degree and just do some of the required gen eds.

Also check the schools accreditation status. That was always an absolute must when checking schools.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do not get a Associate of Applied Science degree! This type of a degree will not transfer to a Bachelors program for any school that is worth anything. Yes there are some Bachelors programs which are also Applied Science but this usually something like Firefighting technology or Turf Management. If the degree program that you are looking into says Applied Science then run and find a different program. Trust me I have Associate of Applied Science and I am having to start all over again with basics in order to get my Bachelors. If you are getting an Associates than look for Associates of Science, Associates of Arts, Associates of Business those will transfer to any 4 year institution in the country.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Disagree. I am about to get one in CST.

AAS is hands-on. You will find most 2 year programs that are AA or AS are about 4 core classes, and 14-15 general education classes. AAS is about 14 core classes and 4-5 general education classes. My program vs. a local four year university's program is similar, with the four year program only having about four extra core classes and the rest being general education. A lot of those classes are of the 'Information Technology Theory' or 'Communicating with Customers' type.

You can go get a job with an AAS degree, you will not get one with an AS. Also, my school has a relationship set up with a four year school to where the credits are accepted, so if I wanted to, I could continue my education. If you are not so lucky, then no, your credits probably will not transfer.

I don't have a job yet, but I had one interview that was a 40k per year job, but could not do it because of the need to be available 24/7 in case an issue occurred. I have two more coming up this week. You will see on many job listings, 2 year technical degree (AAS) or Bachelor's required.

My only advice for you, is if you do this,pay attention. What you learn you will actually need to know on the job. I didn't until this semester, because I was more concerned with passing than retaining knowledge. As a result, I've found myself scrambling to get my A+, N+, MTA, and soon CCENT and doing a ton of self-study in order to strengthen what I was already exposed to, but did not remember much of. Looking back, I think one of my classes used the MS 70-680 book and maybe Network+. It would have been really opportune of me to take advantage of those classes and study hard, and followed up by getting the certifications after. Oh well, live and learn.

TLDR: You can get a job with AAS. Credits may not transfer unless school has a program set up with four year school. It's inexpensive, only two years, and provides practical knowledge. Follow it up with some certs, you'll be OK.
  • Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I meant the AAS will not hurt in job searching. On a side note I do not think there is a big difference between AS and an AAS in terms of job searching. Like I said before in the world of academia it is a different story.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got my AAS degree and it's helped me immensely and I'm transferring my credits into the BS-IT: Security at WGU. :)

I think an AAS degree has a lot of great value as I had lots of hands-on training and I learned a lot. Also, networked with other IT professionals.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Huge difference between AAS and AS.

AAS, you get classes like Windows Server, Building PCs, ICND1, UNIX, etc. AS you get more general/theory class.

For some reason, I have both. I got nowhere with my AS.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice it been really helpful still got a couple more question
    im still doing research for which plan of education i should go i was also thinking of doing the same thing like
    Dakinggamer87
    take the applied science associate to WGU toward a bachelor.
    https://www1.dcccd.edu/catalog/programs/degree.cfm?degree=network_admin_supp_aas&loc=econ
    that my associate plan if i go thru a community college i be certified in CCNA and CCNP and other certification as well.
    My other question is another program that goes exactly what i am going for is offering at the University of Phoenix in dallas but i dont know alot about university that is pro profit the cost doesnt mattter to me cause VA will be paying for my tuition but i done some research about UoP bout how they scam students and many employers doesnt take UoP or online degree seriously when it comes to hirings.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology with a Concentration in Information Systems Security - University of Phoenix
    that is pretty much exactly what i am trying to achieve so what will be my best option to take? Also UoP offer certification as well don't if its in the course or you take that separate after ur done with ur bachelors.
  • Options
    Ok it sounds like you're in Texas, so here is some advice screw University of Phoenix and any other for profit school. In Texas you have some choices like getting your Computer Science Degree from Lamar University fully online, University of Houston-Downtown has a Bachelors of Business in Enterprise Information Systems fully online, these are all state schools with a physical presence where tuition will run you about $150-250 per hour vs. for profit school where its about $500 per hour starting. Ten years ago University of Phoenix was the only game in town, now almost every university offers Bachelors programs or Masters that you can take fully online.

Regarding the AAS I disagree, read between the lines everybody here which was able to get a Bachelors after getting an AAS was because their school had some special arrangement with a local 4 year university, WGU being the exception. But this is not common, you will find very few schools which will take your AAS for a Bachelors program, so why limit yourself. If you get an AS you will be able to go anywhere and transfer to any 4 year university in any state. If AAS is where you plan to finish your education then sure it will have more practical classes but if you ever plan to go beyond that then it's a bad choice. I went and got my AAS from ITT-Tech, guess what the only school that will take my credits for a Bachelors is ITT-Tech, even WGU will not take ITT-Tech credits so I am screwed and having to start over taking Freshman classes at my local community college.
  • Options
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    Ok it sounds like you're in Texas, so here is some advice screw University of Phoenix and any other for profit school. In Texas you have some choices like getting your Computer Science Degree from Lamar University fully online, University of Houston-Downtown has a Bachelors of Business in Enterprise Information Systems fully online, these are all state schools with a physical presence where tuition will run you about $150-250 per hour vs. for profit school where its about $500 per hour starting. Ten years ago University of Phoenix was the only game in town, now almost every university offers Bachelors programs or Masters that you can take fully online.

Regarding the AAS I disagree, read between the lines everybody here which was able to get a Bachelors after getting an AAS was because their school had some special arrangement with a local 4 year university, WGU being the exception. But this is not common, you will find very few schools which will take your AAS for a Bachelors program, so why limit yourself. If you get an AS you will be able to go anywhere and transfer to any 4 year university in any state. If AAS is where you plan to finish your education then sure it will have more practical classes but if you ever plan to go beyond that then it's a bad choice. I went and got my AAS from ITT-Tech, guess what the only school that will take my credits for a Bachelors is ITT-Tech, even WGU will not take ITT-Tech credits so I am screwed and having to start over taking Freshman classes at my local community college.

I understand what ur saying about UoP but it doesn't answer my question. The cost doesn't matter to me what I asking cause I live in Dallas and the their is a campus UoP here in Dallas will it be worth it if I take this course my assosicste will be science with networking and the bachelor of science with IT. Their is another school here University baptist Dallas and they offer a bachelor of com
  • Options

I understand what ur saying about UoP but it doesn't answer my question. The cost doesn't matter to me what I asking cause I live in Dallas and the their is a campus UoP here in Dallas will it be worth it if I take this course my assosicste will be science with networking and the bachelor of science with IT. Their is another school here University baptist Dallas and they offer a bachelor of computer science and computer information science what I don't know much the differnce about those two. And their is another here In Dallas, university of north Dallas that offer bachelor of art for information system and a business if information as well. In still looking for option but I'm bout to run out of time cause I need to star school in January. Any advice would help my focus is IT network what I am trying to achieve
  • Options
    The fact that UoP has physical campus means nothing to any HR person, they see it as a purely Online for Profit school. In your case the VA is paying for your tuition so cost is not a problem. I will agree that UoP commercials are good but are still not seriously taken by employers, my sister in law got a degree from UoP with a 4.0 GPA and no one would take it seriously until she got a Masters from a state school. If you are going to go to a for profit school than Devry actually has a better rep for their technical degrees. If you go to a state school and that means WGU is included then no one will ever question your degree. For profit schools are joke, majority of their so called Professors do not even have a Phd all they have is a Masters. If you or VA is going to pay for a 4 year university than get a real 4 year university from a school where majority of the dept has a Phd and you have that both in class or online. I really do not get some of the people coming out of military, you have either the GI Bill or VA which will pay for any and I mean any school in the country including Ivy League but choose to go to some for profit school or vocational school. If all you need is a paper to earn your officers commission than fine go to any school, but if you are out of the military and are a civilian now than you can go to any school you want on tax payers dime which is something we owe you for your service and sacrifice, so take advantage of it, you earned it.
  • Options
    The fact that UoP has physical campus means nothing to any HR person, they see it as a purely Online for Profit school. In your case the VA is paying for your tuition so cost is not a problem. I will agree that UoP commercials are good but are still not seriously taken by employers, my sister in law got a degree from UoP with a 4.0 GPA and no one would take it seriously until she got a Masters from a state school. If you are going to go to a for profit school than Devry actually has a better rep for their technical degrees. If you go to a state school and that means WGU is included then no one will ever question your degree. For profit schools are joke, majority of their so called Professors do not even have a Phd all they have is a Masters. If you or VA is going to pay for a 4 year university than get a real 4 year university from a school where majority of the dept has a Phd and you have that both in class or online. I really do not get some of the people coming out of military, you have either the GI Bill or VA which will pay for any and I mean any school in the country including Ivy League but choose to go to some for profit school or vocational school. If all you need is a paper to earn your officers commission than fine go to any school, but if you are out of the military and are a civilian now than you can go to any school you want on tax payers dime which is something we owe you for your service and sacrifice, so take advantage of it, you earned it.

What bachelor degree plan should I go for at WGU? I'm still lookin for school to go down here in Dallas. I want to do on campus and online
  • Options
    Did not have too much time to look but I was able to find that Dallas Baptist University does have a full online Bachelors of Business in Management Information Systems. WGU you can take any course you want but keep in mind this is completely on your own, there is no hand holding or anyone to ask a question so you better be prepared for that.
  • Options
    Found my School today going their tomorrow to get a plan, schedule, and see what classes will transfer from a community college.
    My Bachelor degree will be Bachelor of Science in Management Information System at University of Texas at Dallas.
    Bachelor of Science in MIS | Naveen Jindal School of Management
    The community college I'll be attending for my basic core classes will be Richland College. I'm so excited to start school in January. Thank you guys for your help. I went to the University of Phoenix today and I didn't like it one bit. It's basically computer lab, post one entry online every week till ur done with the class then move to the next one and repeat same process again. I asked about hands on class and he said they dont offer that because its not a technical school I'm like What??? He said the school its for people that is currently working in that field and they want to move up within their company ladder. Other question that I have is when can I start taking certification, should I wait till i have more experience within the field and school. If I can start taking them while going to school, which one should i be taking?
  • Options
    I still don't see why the AAS is under-valued, but that's just me. You can get a job with one. I guess time is of the essence for me (I need a job now, not in two years).

Get your certs when they make sense. As in, don't get a networking cert before you take a networking class, but it would make sense to follow up the class with the cert.
  • Options
    atx1975atx1975 Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I got my AAS via Uncle Sam the GI Bill and if you want the most bang for your buck, I would go to WGU by the time you run out of the GI Bill you can probably have your MS or PHD had I known about WGU before I would of went straight there, UNLESS you only want to go to a conventional school, I also live in Dallas but didnt go to college here, so do not know any local schools.
  • Options
    atx1975 wrote: »
    Personally I got my AAS via Uncle Sam the GI Bill and if you want the most bang for your buck, I would go to WGU by the time you run out of the GI Bill you can probably have your MS or PHD had I known about WGU before I would of went straight there, UNLESS you only want to go to a conventional school, I also live in Dallas but didnt go to college here, so do not know any local schools.

Using The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment everything is paid 100% toward a bachelors and certificates as well that is goin toward my plan
  • Options
    Changing my major to Bachelor of Science Computer Science I believe that would be more beneficial to me than MIS with no IT experience yet