Options

Putty Question - How To copy only PART of the log

hitmenhitmen Banned Posts: 133
Hi guys, I have only seen the "copy all to clipboard" option. How do I copy only my highlighted text from putty to notepad?icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    If you hold down left click (to highlight) it should copy it to the clipboard, then just ctrl+v to notepad.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hitmen wrote: »
    How do I copy only my highlighted text from putty to notepad?icon_redface.gif
    Your highlighted text is already copied. All you need to do is highlight text, the copy part is automatic.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    While we're on the subject, holding down the alt button while highlighting text is nice for grabbing a custom sized box of text while ignoring other text on the same lines. Very nice feature if you're trying to grab a couple of commands you typed in without getting the other junk on the lines.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Look at using a better program, like teraterm. I just set it to log to file, run what I need to, close the file, and good to go. Great for dumping configs or port info to a file.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some people prefer putty.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    rupp17rupp17 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One can also set up options to save the whole session within putty. I have mine to save by host-time-date.log
    I don't care for all the junk characters made when correcting but these are easy enough to clear out with replace all function in any text editor.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    wes allen wrote: »
    Look at using a better program, like teraterm. I just set it to log to file, run what I need to, close the file, and good to go. Great for dumping configs or port info to a file.

This, only noobs use Putty...seriously do not use it..too many bad things can happen. I cannot stand the automatic copy when highlighted function. Let's just say that there is a reason I ctrl+z or use "end" if I am in a config mode and am doing something else before configuring. Too smart/paranoid to have something pasted into the terminal that I don't want.

Zoc, SecureCRT, Teraterm are much better. Tabs is also a huge thing for me, can't live without them (yes I know SuperPutty has them, but it's still Putty).
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?