Options

WGU Mostly Gen Ed classes to do, ugh.

kenopkenop Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Wondering if anyone was in my situation, where I actually had gotten almost all of the IT stuff out of the way beforehand, but none of the Gen Ed. Most ppl here seem to be the other way around, understandably.

Picking up this degree just to say I did it. Waiting on transcript evaluations, 13 out of the 14 certs the BSIT program offers already done ahead of time.

The Gen Ed classes are why I didn't do College in the first place -- but the fast pace people are going through it is making me feel at ease with the coming work.
BVC1 CTV1 CUV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 WFV1 TBP1 EAV1 EBV1 EUP1 EUC1 CRV1 BOV1 DJV1 EUC1 CVV1 CJV1 TPV1 TXC1 TXP1 TYC1 TYP1 CAPSTONE BNC1 AGC1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1 CLC1 GAC1 IWC1 IWT1 RIT1 CIC1 CJC1 TCP1 TJC1 TJP1

Comments

• Options
    datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pretty much right there with you...I have 3 IT certs and the 2 java programming remaining for BS:IT. Unfortunately, I have the full mass of Gen Ed. courses remaining, starting the first one tomorrow. I've taken a few of the pre-assessments and done pretty well, it's really just a matter of getting the dust off your brain and knocking them out.
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have both the IT and Gen Ed to do...fun times ahead :)
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I am almost in the same boat got a few useless it classes left, like ciw and java etc. I have to start picking up the pace soon on my general ed classes.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    santaowns wrote: »
    few useless it classes left, like ciw and java etc.

Funny, those are the ones that aren't useless in my view :)

Well, the Java anyway, the CIW stuff is going to be good for the knowledge, not the certs.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Useless was probably a bad word to use, but since I have coded websites in the past and have the experience the classes are not going to teach me much if anything, thus first word to come to mind was useless. Maybe not important to me would have been better wording. either way I will still have to get them done.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Gen eds are there for a reason! Attack them but retain them, it's a well rounded person that employers want. WGU is a solid inexpensive option but I think sometimes people speed through some classes just to get it done ASAP when they should slow down a little and enjoy the experience. How many times will you be in college (even if it is online)?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm starting in a couple months and I'm kind of in the same boat. Instead of taking random electives at my other college, I took advanced IT courses. I'll have to get 30 credits at WGU to get my Bachelor's and probably the majority will be general ed classes. I think the only IT courses I'll have is another web development course and a database course.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones without very many GE classes. I transferred in most of them from my AS degree at local community college. I can tell you though, they were a drag when I took them as it was hard to get excited about most of them. I'm just glad I don't have to write any more papers...at least until Capstone.

You guys definitely have the right attitude though, just bang them out and move on!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had only a few GE classes that didnt transfer over. The one im on now is English comp 2. I hate writing papers.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I anticipated this from the beginning, so I staggered the IT courses with the GEd courses. I would do an IT course, then a GEd course, then an IT course, then an GEd course, etc etc. Worked out really well and I never felt bogged down with any particular type of subject matter.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My time at a local community cleared most of them. The problem I had for WGU was math, I actually pushed my start back from August to January (also finished CCNA in that time). I took some easy online math courses (ALEKS) to wipe out that requirement for 3 classes I'd have had to take otherwise. Start date is now Jan for me and my only GE class is English 2 which will be easy as heck on top of that I have the CCNA done which I'd need for the degree anyway.

If I were you I'd try to clear the GE courses at Straightline or something like that first before starting at WGU as it's easier and you will save money as well. Also check out CLEP exams, which would allow you to take one test and get credit for a whole course.
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    I have also been doing the staggering effect, it has been working pretty good for me so far. This semster I do have more Gen Ed classes then IT ones but I can power through it I think. It's only 18 credits...
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1