Options

Which IOS to use in GNS3 for CCENT/CCNA study?

zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi all,

I just recently started studying for the CCENT/CCNA certifications. I have been reading Todd Lammle's book and I also bought a membership to CBTNuggets. From reading posts on here I quickly realized how valuable a learning/labbing tool GNS3 is and I wanted to use it for this purpose. I installed it but I then I noticed you also need to use IOS files in order to get the program to function correctly.

My question is what IOS files do you want to install that will be sufficient for CCENT/CCNA studying and labbing? Thanks for any and all help! I can tell GNS3 looks like a great tool for networking and I was fast to donate to to the new GNS since it sounds like it will be equally awesome.

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Except for the 7200 series, the highest IOS supported by GNS3 is 12.4T, which should do most of CCNA, except a few things like licensing.

I would use 12.4(15)T14 Advanced IP Services or Advanced Enterprise, which can run on an emulated 1760, 2600XM, or 3700 Series (3725, 3745).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply!

I must admit I am still very confused as far as where to get the IOS, which exact file to get and then what to do once I get it. It seems like getting GNS3 up and running is proving more difficult than the actual studying process!
  • Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just a tip, do not use the 3745, it still has some issues with GNS3, you can use the 3725 just fine. I am running a 2600xm's and 3725.
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zxbane wrote: »

My question is what IOS files do you want to install that will be sufficient for CCENT/CCNA studying and labbing? Thanks for any and all help! I can tell GNS3 looks like a great tool for networking and I was fast to donate to to the new GNS since it sounds like it will be equally awesome.

Topic from CCNP forum, might be useful:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/93144-best-router-gns3-image-ccnp-route.html

About GNS3, there is a good book from Packt covering the tool (actually, a very detailed tutorial - some 150 pages). You can search the net for promotional codes for eBook discount.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dyasis wrote: »
    Just a tip, do not use the 3745, it still has some issues with GNS3, you can use the 3725 just fine. I am running a 2600xm's and 3725.

I think you just solved a lot of my problems! I switched to the 3725 image and had a lot less trouble today.