Options

Got a job (finally) =D

Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
So after sending out about 40 resumes, I finally got an IT-related job. The pay is horrible ($10.75/hour), but it's part-time and will let me keep working on some IT certs (I'm mostly ready to take my CCENT, then want to get my CCNA and probably MCSA Server 2008 ). Major pay-cut for me -- literally half of what I was making in 2012 as a Park Ranger -- but I think it's a good foot-in-the-door. Maybe give this guy 6 months and then see if I can nab a better paying job and/or get him to pay me a more livable wage.

I have an interview tomorrow for a more typical helpdesk job that does pay better, but IDK. This one sounds fun and I like the part-time so I can keep doing WGU w/o killing myself.

So, the question I have for you guys, is will a PC repair job + certs = a better paying IT job somewhere? Instead of having just certs and hobbyist experience?

Comments

• Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on finding a job. It's a trying ordeal to be sure. You even took a pay cut so that shows your interested in achieving your goals.

What type of IT job are you hoping to get down the road? Certs + experience to back it up is the preferred way to get ahead.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats on your first IT-related job!!

IT job experience along with certs will definitely help you achieve a better paying job in the future.
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Congrats! Just see it as a stepping stone and the money will flow in time.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on job!! icon_thumright.gif

Certs, Experience, and degrees will definitely help you achieve a better paying job in the future!! Keep on pushing forward
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations

I feel like I am in the same boat with sending out applications on a weekly basis with no response. Glad someone is helping you get into the door with IT.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on finding a job icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Congratulations! Just continue to do your best.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulation on landing a job, well done and keep up the winning attitude!!!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good for you for following what you want to do in life. And to topic, any experience is worth what you put into it. It's all good and should be rewarding if you work hard and learn.

I have to chuckle - your career path is a mirror opposite of mine...I've dreamed of quitting IT and becoming a Park Ranger!!
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Skip CCENT and just do the CCNA - much easier overall.

- B Eads
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bacon_00 wrote: »
    Maybe give this guy 6 months and then see if I can nab a better paying job and/or get him to pay me a more livable wage.

I have an interview tomorrow for a more typical helpdesk job that does pay better, but IDK. This one sounds fun and I like the part-time so I can keep doing WGU w/o killing myself.

So, the question I have for you guys, is will a PC repair job + certs = a better paying IT job somewhere? Instead of having just certs and hobbyist experience?

What will you be doing for the pc tech job? In the interview for help desk position find out what kind of technologies you would be working with. Whether or not your future job and certifications will equal better pay is purely up to you. You have to evaluate which job will give you the exposure you need to get the job you want.
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Any experience helps
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I always tell people that helpdesk is a great stepping stone into any IT field. The word "helpdesk" can mean a pretty wide range of experience though. It's going to depend on the company & what types of things you're supporting. Larger companies typically have very well trained and educated helpdesk personal. Either way, you can either work your way up or at the very least get those certs in your off time and keep your eyes on other opportunities. If you haven't already, find some local IT recruiters and let them know what you're interested in & what you're studying.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Congrats, but $10.75 an hour seems like a slave wage for a skilled position. Perhaps you're from a rural part of the country, but in this area you can expect that same wage or better at WalMart or a gas station. Get some quick experience and move on.
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations

I feel like I am in the same boat with sending out applications on a weekly basis with no response. Glad someone is helping you get into the door with IT.

Hang in there man, if your persistent and know what your doing your shot will come. In addition to checking all the usual job boards you might want to check some unusual places. Small non-profit shops may not have a big IT budget but will still need work done. Meeting people and word of mouth will almost always work better at getting you in than just electronic means.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    Bacon_00Bacon_00 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    Congrats, but $10.75 an hour seems like a slave wage for a skilled position. Perhaps you're from a rural part of the country, but in this area you can expect that same wage or better at WalMart or a gas station. Get some quick experience and move on.

No, not rural area. Seattle area. It's the second lowest pay I've ever gotten for a job, and I'm a little curious why they pay so very little for a position that requires some actual skill and intelligence. The dude who hired me said there's a raise after 90 days, but my guess it's just like $0.50 or something. It's "something to do" for now, and it'll help with the bills, so I figure I'll give it 6 months while I plug away at these certs and then go from there. They'll have to realize that he can't hold onto me for very long with that kind of pay, especially once I have my CCNA, A+, and whatever else I can get in 6 months (A+ is already done and nearing the halfway point with Cisco, so I'm hoping to maybe knock out a Server cert or something). I also have a BS from a good school, so it's not like I'm just some kid straight out of high school.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    same here man, you have to start somewhere. congrats on moving up