Options

Interview went well for System Engineer position... now how to negotiate??

pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is a build-on from http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/95368-odd-situation-when-appropriate-ask-about-pay-possible-job-jump.html

I decided to speak to the gentlemen before having the interview about pay range. He actually agreed and said it was a good idea - so it worked out for me this time. As always, your results may vary. :) He remembered me from our past interview so it was a good conversation. I told him a range I am looking for and he said that it worked for him. I went to the interview this morning and it was great. Probably the best interview I've ever had. It was very laid back and he kind of pushed the interview packet aside. We talked like guys who were out at the bar. Of course, it had to do with the job and his companies goals, but it was still a great talk. I didn't have to do any of those 'Name a time when...' questions that I can't stand. Although, this was a second interview in a way with this guy so maybe this isn't standard protocol for him. On a personal note, I am getting very good at interviews. I've had technical people who do interviews in the past give me some tips so I believe I've almost mastered the art of interviewing. That was always a goal of mine, maybe there is no certification for it, but I'm proud of it.

Anyway, we spoke a litlte about pay and as always, he mentioned my range but chose the bottom of my range. This always seems to happen no matter who I interview with, I'm sure it is standand so I expect it. My next question though... is how do I negotiate... or should I?? Is there a do and don't to this type of thing? Right now his offer (hasn't officially made it yet) would be a little more than what I make now. However, it is days. No weekends, no on-call rotation. I will get hands on experience with routers, switches, and some server administration. seems like a little of everything. He pushes eductation and certification and has annual reviews. I'm not sure if I should just accept the little pay bump and be happy with the other benefits, or if I should try for a little more. I do believe I am worth it, but would not have a problem with showing him on the job.

How do you start negotiating and when do you know the offer that is standing might be the best an employeer has to offer?

Comments

• Options
    Bryan0530Bryan0530 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always negotiate... dont expect that bump even if your promised "a review". If they want you they will pay you within that job salary range. I look at salary based on benefits also. For example, my company allows me to spend 5k in training a year not including tution. so if i make 50k and have tution for 10k and training for 5k, I would pick my job over a 60k salary because training and school is important to me. It's also good to see what experience you can get out of the job, experience is key in IT
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack this thread but say a recruiter called you for a job and asked what are you looking to make and you said 75K, you go though the whole spill, do great in the interviewing process and they come back and offer you the job at 75k. How do you at that point ask for 85K when you already said 75k?
  • Options
    eric281eric281 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why did you say 75k to start with if you want 85k?
    WGU BS IT - Network Design & Management - Start date - 01-01-2014 - As of 3-24-2014:
    X-ferred: AHV1, TBP1, EBV1, AIV1, AJV1, BVC1, COV1, CSV1, CTV1, CWV1, DEV1, DHV1, EAV1, FEC1, EYC1, EOC1, EHC1, CRV1, DPC1 (59 cu)
    Completed: CLC1, WFV1, AGC1, GNC1, CIC1, CUV1, TPV1, GAC1, BOV1, CJC1, IWC1, IWT1, UBC1 (41 cu) Skipped: EUP1, EUC1 (3cu) Current Courses: UBT1, CDC1 (4 cu) Courses Left: CDP1, TCP1, TJC1, TJP1, SBT1, RCT1 (14 cu)
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eric281 wrote: »
    Why did you say 75k to start with if you want 85k?

I got greedy at the last minute. lol
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never give a range. Of course they go for the bottom line. If someone offers you a product and says you can pay anything from $100 to $500, what would you pay? Certainly not the upper end.

In salaries I always give a minimum number I am looking at. I am quite adamant too. If I say I need at least 75k and they offer less, I say no. I always make my mind up beforehand. What IS annoying though is that sometimes they agree and at offer time they go lower and I imagine a lot of people still agree because of the time it took to go through all those interviews. Not me though :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p