Options

Comfortable headphone recommendation please

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I picked up 6 courses from Udemy (CB's CCNA courses, Linux stuff, AWS stuff) with that 70% discount code awhile back and have just got around to working through them.

I currently use some mildly busted Plantronic gaming headphones (w/pink duct tape that my wife put on them to "fix" them). Even when they weren't busted they would make my ears hurt after 30 minutes of use.

Anyone have some recommendations for something that is comfortable?

Comments

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A big part of this is going to be budget. Have you a limit on what you would like to spend?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Not over 100 but id prefer to stay around 50.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in the market myself but would like to have the microphone feature as well so I can do music and no hands talking.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been using noice cancelling headphones - Sony MDR-NC200D. No volume or microphone which might put you off - oh and it's a little over $100 but the sound quality is superb. It requires a AAA battery to work at noise cancelling and full quality sound but I'd recommend them highly. I haven't used them on a flight yet but it blocks out sounds very good so far. It has good reviews on Amazon too... the price off them might be an issue though.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    If you also listen to music in headphones, I could recommend these headphones - Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments
  • Options
    jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go to a musician's website like Musicians Friend and you can find some great deals. I picked up a pair for $10 shipped and they sound and feel great. I also have a five dollar pair of ear buds that I got at Big Lots and they sound and feel great too.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If less than 50 then I'd say the Sennheiser HD202s, I've used them for a number of years now and they're sill quality.

If you have more than 100 then the Sennheiser HD598s are amazing quality for the price.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    I second the Sennheiser HD202. They are superb, I've had them 5+ years.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I realize you want to keep below $100 but if you are willing to make the long term investment, the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones are amazing.

At $299 retail, it is expensive but it could be the last headset you ever own. I have own my pair for more than 10 years. It broke (sat on it) last year. Bose has an upgrade/replace policy for that headset, I was able to just bring in my broken pair to the store and I got a new one for $99.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Not over 100 but id prefer to stay around 50.

Ouch, was going to recommend Bose QuietComfort 15

Amazon.com: Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones: Electronics

Awesome for around house or on an airplane. Airplane especially
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    These would be the under 50.00 cans: Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones

I also like these Koss KSC75 since they are so portable.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661

Amazon.com: Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones: Electronics

I second this, definitely worth the investment. I used cheap headphones for a long time, got my Bose QuietComfort 15's about a year ago... I'll never go back.
  • Options

I had these (maybe not exactly these, it was about 3 years ago). They were very comfortable, but my cat chewed the cord up and that was that. No amount of repair made them work again. I baught a cheaper set of Bose after that. I dropped them twice and they came apart in a few spots. I am just too rough on headphones for the price range again!

I ended up getting two pair of headphones, first I got these for use on my laptop and when I work out:

LeBron-James-x-Beats-by-Dre-PowerBeats-Headphones-3.jpg
    Rakuten.com - Powerbeats by Dr. Dre In-Ear Headphones - White

Since that took care of my budget for this, I went for these from Newegg (dedicated to the desktop PC):
    JVC HA-RX700 3.5mm/ 6.3mm Connector Circumaural Full-Size Headphone - Newegg.com

For ~$40, they are almost as comfortable as the Bose (they may even break in and get that comfortable) and they sound plenty good for my purpose (online classes, videos, etc...).

Sorry for posing the question, than appearing to disregard the advice given.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to add to the existing comments...

Up until a year ago, my only headphones were a pair of Sony MDR-7506s (the ones mentioned earlier in the thread) which I bought back in the early '90s. Aside from replacing the ear pads a couple of times, they've been great.

But they don't do noise-canceling. I bought a pair of Bose QC 15s a while back due to their weight (feels very light), comfort, and also because they fit a travel bag pretty easily. They certainly don't compare in audio quality to the MDR-7506s, and I don't know how they compare against other noise-canceling models from other brands, but they're good enough that I bought a second pair just for home.

This may or may not be what the OP asked for, but for long-term use the Bose has done well for me. I don't like swapping out a new AAA battery every week, but otherwise it brings sanity to my work day as it reduces office noise (including HVAC hum), immediately removes all rumble while working in a datacenter, and makes a night/day difference on flights. The cabin noise of an airline feels unbearable after getting used to having these on. Many times I don't have them plugged into a jack and I just walk around with them on to instill a bit of zen.

That said, one weak area is the headphone cord. Due to their length, they tend to get caught up in armchair rests, etc. and while a little tug easily pulls it out of the headphones themselves to prevent breakage, it's just annoying sometimes. I also had one sort of go bad after a year (past warranty) and Bose basically will swap one out with yours for a charge (normally $100 or something, although they did $50 for me since I think it was just outside of the warranty period). It has been worth it overall for me. Their customer service is actually quite good.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    thanks for the suggestions guys, adding the Sony and Bose to my wish list
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You could also go for the Poor man's Bose QC15. You won't regret buying it.

Monoprice Noise Canceling Headphones Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which do you prefer - over the ear or in-ear headphones? I am an in-ear guy, so I have used everything from iPod earbuds (garbage) to Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S (touring level in-ear monitors). Klipsch, Westone, Ultimate Ears, and a few others make good one-, two-, and three-driver IEMs that will put nearly anything you can find at Best Buy to shame.

Sennheiser and Sony make good over-the-ear headphones but I haven't used any in the last few years. Anything that is highly recommended by session musicians or broadcast engineers will be both comfortable and high-quality.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Not sure if you want over the head style or in ear, but I've been using the Razer Hammerhead earbuds and like them so far. They're going for around 50 bucks on Amazon.

Razer Hammerhead Pro In-Ear Headphones: Gaming & Music Earphones - Razer United States
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    JustFred wrote: »
    You could also go for the Poor man's Bose QC15. You won't regret buying it.

Monoprice Noise Canceling Headphones Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Nice suggestion, whos "brand" is that...I see it mostly on Newegg.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]