Wrong career decision?

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I started L1 support for a phone company in Sept. I realized that it wasn't for me and expressed my desire to my manager at the time to see if I can do Field tech work, which he didn't have a problem. Since doing field tech work (to be 2 weeks exactly), I have a feeling that I'll be let go once my 3 months in the company come to a pass and this happen to me before. What is your take on this?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Were you hired for 3 months to begin with? And why do you feel you'll be let go after 3 months?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, I was told I'd been on a probationary period but since I moved to field tech work, I feel that I'm not really needed in the field. But I express desire to succeed in this role compare to being in L1.
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your manager approved the move and didn't have any issues with it why worry?

90 day probation period is common with many companies for certain jobs. There are plenty of reasons why you can be let go after the probation period that have nothing to do with you or your work. These days it's mostly about costs. Keep you nose clean, be on time for work, don't make waves, stay motivated, and above all else try to fit in.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    As an ex-field technician myself, that's just how it feels at first. You really need to show some initiative to whoever is showing you the ropes. Show that you can be trusted and that your not just going to stand around with your hands in your pockets.

When I was training new FST's, what annoyed me the most was those people that just stand there with their hands in their pockets like if we're all done and ready to go to lunch. They also have to trust that you are competent enough to get the job done without them having to go over every inch of your work.

Until you're able to at the least show initiative, no one is going to invest that much time into your success.