Options

Tool for users to download company software

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm looking for a tool, ideally open source, that users can use to download and install programs from a company software repository. Anyone seen anything like this?

Comments

• Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only software I know that does this is System Center
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    x2 on SCCM.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unfortunately we are not planning to move to SCCM at this time. What I'm looking for is an almost app store like feature for internal business use. Reduce phone calls and tickets, etc.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One more for SCCM. You can create a software catalog, users can then visit the catalog and download whatever software they have permission to download.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unfortunately we are not planning to move to SCCM at this time. What I'm looking for is an almost app store like feature for internal business use. Reduce phone calls and tickets, etc.

The other option, use a file-server and post the .exe/.msi directly on the server for users to access. You run a risk though, because users can copy volume licensed software for home-use/friends/family, etc...
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    Make a file to download the software from another location, install, log and clean up then use a batch to exe converter.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ownCloud

It will let you set up multiple logins and present a list of downloadable files customized for that login. I started using it for a inhouse Dropbox/Drive replacement but keep finding more and more uses for it.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Zartanasaurus again. :)

I was thinking of the script thing, too.

If you can write a script for an unattended installation of the software, then you just need to find a way for users to easily click and receive.

The thing to be careful about is the licensing, so you may need to provide a "check" functionality whereby the script checks for remaining licenses prior to installing, and updates some log and/or sends a message to the admin when licenses are utilized or run out, so the admin is aware of what is going on.

If this is software that you have enough licensing for all users already, then you may want to consider integrating it into your image. This way, you can provide your users a stable build from IT.

If you're having issues with building your images, you might want to invest some time into studying unattended installation techniques, as well as running commands on remote systems, which can be a real time saver and force multiplier for you, when you script out these activities.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)