Options

pfsense question...

unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to use pfsense to setup a connection between 2 forests that I have created.

Forest 1= Bridged adaptor (my home WiFi):192.168.1.12 Internal LAN: 10.10.50.0/24
Forest 2 = Bridged adaptor (my home WiFi): 192.168.1.9 Internal LAN: 10.20.50.3/24

My question is...how do I get these 2 subnets to talk to one another? In the real world, I would create a VPN between the 2 but since these are both technically on my home network, I am struggling to wrap my brain around this. Does anyone know how to set this up?

Thanks very much in advance

Comments

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really not too clear on your setup and my answer may not be that helpful but from the limited information I'm able to get from this, you would either need a router routing between the two subnets or you would need to scale the subnet mask of both subnets back to a /16 so that they can communicate.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    You can connect them using a router.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IIRC - pfSense is similar to most SOHO firewall/routers. I recently looked at it when I needed to change my home network topology. But I ended up using a different solution since I found pfSense to be a bit too heavy for the hardware that I had.

@OP - you are going to need to give a bit more detail about your topology - I am assuming that you have 4 interfaces in pfSense device and 3 interfaces - 192.168.1.(you didn't mention size), 10.10.50.0/24, and 10.20.50.3/24.

Note that 10.20.50.3/24 is NOT a valid subnet address. I am guessing it's a typo and you meant to type - 10.20.50.0/24.

One of the things that I'm also assuming is that you are using the term forest to mean that weird term used in pfSense which I never did spend the time to decipher since forest is usually associated with Windows Active Directory and not a networking term.

Assuming that you have all the firewall rules setup between the subnets correctly, I believe that pfSense will always route subnets on directly connected interfaces.

If you are trying to use overlapping subnets in the same LAN however, you may need to configure proxy-arp but I do not know if pfSense supports it.