CEH, is it worth it (for me)?

ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi :)
I have (very) wide Linux experience, that includes system administration, hardening, development(Python,Perl,Bash,TCL,PHP), and a lot of experience in open source deployments of enterprise products (Zabbix/Nagios/Opsview).
I have also Windows background (Server2k3/2kicon_cool.gif and I also code in Powershell etc.
I am interested in expanding my knowledge in the Infosec (Pentesting) field, and was wondering if CEH is worth it? I went over some threads here on this forum but couldn't find the answer I was looking for, is it a beginner level cert?

Comments

• nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Expect wrote: »
    Hi :)
    I have (very) wide Linux experience, that includes system administration, hardening, development(Python,Perl,Bash,TCL,PHP), and a lot of experience in open source deployments of enterprise products (Zabbix/Nagios/Opsview).
    I have also Windows background (Server2k3/2kicon_cool.gif and I also code in Powershell etc.
    I am interested in expanding my knowledge in the Infosec (Pentesting) field, and was wondering if CEH is worth it? I went over some threads here on this forum but couldn't find the answer I was looking for, is it a beginner level cert?

You might want to get the Security Plus first before you get the CEH...
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as far as I know security+ is an introduction to security, which I don't need
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    CEH is entry level. Chances are, you won't learn that much with your experience. However, if you are considering moving to a security role, the CEH will help a lot and you should get it in that case.

Otherwise, +1 to what jamesleecoleman suggested.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    OSCP looks interesting, prices are extremely high though :O
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That may be true but you do get a lot - weeks of access to a great lab, training materials and videos etc. but most importantly - the opportunity to try harder :D . You will most definitely learn a ton of stuff going through this.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    I will take a deeper look into this cert, it does look interesting.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at GPEN as well:

Penetration Testing Certification: GPEN
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CEH is basic and covers security principles and basic uses of pen testing tools.

I'd say pass it up for something more technical.

I just got it because it was required for my job.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Which you should mention, its the primary reason (I think) I got offered this most recent position, the job requires 8570 compliance for CND roles. That being said, your knowledge and experience will get you the job, but the the interview questions could be answered from the CEH content. GIAC certs and CEH are the only ones permissible excluding management. If OP is concerned about cost, CEH is the reasonable option.
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    I found it interesting, but it is entry level.

Regardless of it's difficulty, the bottom line is it gets hits on job boards much more than the alternatives. I've never seen ECPPT get a single hit on a job board (not knocking it at all, just talking about ROI).