Options

Hello! And CCNA lab host question

Atmosphere1991Atmosphere1991 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have been lurking on this forum for some time now. This is my first post, I live in Saint Louis, MO and am currently studying for my ccna/ccent. I sit my ccent next month.
I have a question/project right of the bat though if anyone could help.. I recently built my own lab 3x 1841 routers, and 3 2950 switches all connected to a 2509 terminal access server(I think that's what it's called lol).
I'm trying to figure out what to do about my hosts. I have 2 pc's that are connected through a program called Input Director, and a crossover cable from each NIC, so I can control them both with one mouse/keyboard. I would like to keep it that way, and still be able to simulate isolated hosts on different networks. I have a few usb to rj45 nics, and a PCI nics, a laptop, and VMware.

What is the best way that I could sim 3 or more isolated hosts? Can I do this with VMware and multiple NICs? Or will they be able to route packets between each other, and not be forced to go through a router? How will my crossover cable that I use to control each PC effect pings to hosts will windows just skip the router and choose the crossover cable?

Any Ideas/answers would be greatly appreciated, I know I'm new here(new to forums in general). I hope it's not considered rude just to ask a question like that on your first post or not lol.

Comments

• Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't know, since everything is physical. I guess you would need PCI passthrough feature on a hypervisor and multiport Ethernet card(s).
    It would be a lot easier to virtualize some routers via Dynamips/GNS3. You can then use VPCs and/or VirtualBox to virtualize PCs and have them connected to emulated routers. You can connect all that with your physical gear.
  • Options
    How do you connect emulated routers to physical gear
  • Options
    JoseJimenezJoseJimenez Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are using Dynamips with Dynagen configuration files (.net files) on Linux, you would have a line like this in emulated router configuration:
    F0/0 = NIO_linux_eth:eth1
    or
    F0/0 = NIO_gen_eth:eth1

which basically connects f0/0 on emulated router to eth1 interface on a host's NIC. You can then plug whatever you want in eth1 (real router, switch or PC).

It's same thing with GNS3 but you configure it via GUI (cloud thing):
    GNS3 Tutorial - Connecting GNS3 Routers to Real Hardware Switches and Network Equipment - YouTube
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Honestly I've never really worried too much about hots in a lab. You can figure most things out without having to connect an end host to a switch.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I personally use Dell servers I get from work for my, and my friends labs. I have a Dell 2950 running ESXi. This has also been very helpful for my VMware cert track. However, this is definitely not required. Do whatever your interests and budget suits :)
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Tried to PM you but couldn't.

You're only a couple hours away. I'm decommissioning a few more Dell Servers from a local bank on a contract. Once they are wiped they can be sold. Let me know if you're interested.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Don't really have much server knowledge, still learning a lot. Could I use some thin clients like these Lot 0f 2 CA21 Neoware Thin Client Computers with Puppy Linux | eBay Would they work without a server?