Options

Yet another Lab Hardware Q!!

roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Folks;

I have stf and not come up with a specific answer to this q. If someone finds a thread please link it.
I'm going to start the CCNA RS track with my eye on taking the CCNA Voice afterwards. The one of the two CCNP.

I just pulled the trigger on 3 2801's routers w/ IOS 15.1 loaded. Will be grabbing 3 3550 switches to go with that.

My question is on the interface cards for the 2801's. According to cisco I need to grab HWIC cards and not the WIC ones. Is that correct?

I'm thinking I only need 2 and the appropriate x-over cable.

thnx
Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    That`s correct. The 2800`s series use HWIC cards and WIC card slots won`t fit in the chassis.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Thanks for replying. Yeah that's what I thought. The HWIC cards are still pretty pricey at the moment on EBay.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to get 3 HWIC-1DSU-T1 cards or 3 HWIC-2T.

I got the 2801 routers pretty cheap, $80.00. Now I see Y.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2801 has 4 slots, but its really weird about what goes in what slot. I believe the odd numbered ports (0/1, 0/3) support WICs, HWICs, VICs, or VWICs, whereas 0/0 only supports VICs and VWICs, and 0/2 only supports VIC, VWICs, and WICs. They also number right to left if I remember correctly instead of left to right as on the 1760 which this replaced. Other than the slot weirdness, these are nice routers. I have one which I use as a CME (Voice) Router.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Yeah it is interesting the way the slots are laid out. Reading through the Overview of Cisco Interface Cards for Cisco Access Routers* [Cisco Interface Cards] - Cisco Systems

It does seem that the WIC cards are supported in the 2800 series. May need to remove a divider though which would combine the adjacent slots.

Being able to use the WIC cards would save me a great deal of money as the HWIC cards I've been looking at despite being EOL are still close to or over $100.00 on EBay right now.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    roch_greg wrote: »
    Yeah it is interesting the way the slots are laid out. Reading through the Overview of Cisco Interface Cards for Cisco Access Routers Overview of Cisco Interface Cards for Cisco Access Routers* [Cisco Interface Cards] - Cisco Systems

It does seem that the WIC cards are supported in the 2800 series. May need to remove a divider though which would combine the adjacent slots.

Being able to use the WIC cards would save me a great deal of money as the HWIC cards I've been looking at despite being EOL are still close to or over $100.00 on EBay right now.

Some WIC cards are supported. For example, the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 should work, but the WIC-1DSU-T1 won't even be properly recognized (I tried). Not that big of a deal since the V2s are almost as cheap as the older ones now. I believe the WIC-1T and WIC-2T are supported, though.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    fov001fov001 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have x3 3550s I am selling if you need them PM me.