Got my laptop, great deal on Lenovo W530

SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that TigerDirect has the Lenovo W530 for $980 right now. They screwed up the specs on their website. If you look up the specs of the 24384BU, you will see that the screen has a resolution of 1600x900 and it has both Intel graphics as well as a Nvidia K1000m discreet card. On their website, they have it listed as 1366x768 and only Intel graphics. I figured I'd pay it forward in case anyone else was looking. Before I found this deal, I had been looking for a few months and couldn't find anything decent for sub $1200.

Very happy with the computer overall. It is not lightweight, but that wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted something durable and fast. That is what I got. I just reinstalled Windows 7 Pro (bloated image) and also installed Ubuntu. Still tweaking settings with Bumblebee (Linux version of Optimus software) and other power management packages. I've been hovering around estimates of 8-11 hours for basic browsing.

Anyways, hope this helps out anyone looking for a good laptop.

Comments

• -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    One of the best laptops ever made. Currently have the w510, thing is a monster!

How do you like the new keyboard?
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I'm surprised that laptops that cost $1000+ still come with hard drives instead of SSDs.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sratakhin good point about the HDD, what's up with that? Why no SSD?
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    If you can have an mSATA bay, you can go on Amazon and get you an 128 SSD for about $90, or 256 SSD for $160... that was before Blk Fri + CyMon, so you should still find a great price to upgrade with an SSD. I say Amazon, because they were cheaper then Tigerdirect and Newegg, shipping was free and guranteed to be here quick. Even for being deployed in Afghanistan, got it 8 days after it was shipped. Food for thought with anyone that is intrested.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thanks! I love the Thinkpads and it's about time for me to upgrade mine.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    -hype wrote: »
    One of the best laptops ever made. Currently have the w510, thing is a monster!

How do you like the new keyboard?

I love the keyboard, but I never used the W5xx series before. I know that some people don't like the new keyboard.

I firmly believe that you are paying extra for the quality here. There is no SSD and that would be nice. That being said, nothing in the $1000 range seems to have one. You could go for something with fewer features and made with cheaper materials and maybe get an SSD for that price. You also have to consider that they provide a 3 year warranty.

I'm happy with the performance so far. I'll be testing it a bit more once I do my RAM upgrade.