Microsoft offering FREE exam voucher for Exam 74-409: Server Virtualization w/ HyperV

Comments

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    interesting..thanks for posting
  • MoabMoab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up on this, way cool
  • MoabMoab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    got my voucher thanks for the link
  • Kevster1188Kevster1188 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Booked for the 5th of March. Studying the MVA videos and using trials with my own test lab. Any further info from anyone would be great!!
  • osPrimeosPrime Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tried to get voucher tonight and got:

"Our apologies but due to popular demand, we are currently out of vouchers. Please come back in 48 hours to request your voucher."

Guess I will have to try again in a couple days?
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CarlSaiyed... Congrats on passing!! What Sybex book did you use? I could not find one on this particular exam. Could you point me to the trainsignal videos also? I plan on taking this one next month and it would be a great help. Thanks

Thanks! I used this book from amazon and these videos from Pluralsight (used to be trainsignal until they merged). Good luck!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you CarlSaiyed. I was going to ask if it it was those resources that you used or not. Congrats on the pass and the feedback.
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I got the same message.. ya snooze ya lose I guess hah
  • aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have no experience with Win Server 2012, Hyper V or Virtualization.

Where should I start for studying this test ?
    @aswebdev start out with the MVA course and then get the Sybex book. Lab everything you can. If you work hard on all three you can pass this exam.
  • Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's the best Sybex book to use, please?
    I used this book from Amazon
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    I received same message.

"Our apologies but due to popular demand, we are currently out of vouchers. Please come back in 48 hours to request your voucher."
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep, just tried signing up... same message. Guess we either missed the boat or they are slowing down on giving them out. I'll try again in a couple days.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I don't see it mentioned anywhere else in the thread... but MS has some free virtual labs for Hyper-V and System Center 2012: TechNet Virtual Labs
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
    Just an update. I signed up last night and got the message they were out of vouchers and to check back in 48 hours. Checked again a few minutes ago just for grins and there it was. Got my voucher, going to sign up to take the test tonight when I get home.

Just wanted to let everyone know the deal isn't dead, you simply have to be a bit more patient.
  • osPrimeosPrime Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Same here. I was able to get it tonight.
  • maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    Is this voucher still free, or the time to offer it for free has been passed.
  • Mkiniry9600Mkiniry9600 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I applied for my voucher on the 6 of February and got it. I have scheduled my exam already and can not wait to take it. Thank you for this thread.
    WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration: Start Date June 1 2014 |Transferred | In Progress | Required | Completed|
    UBT1, ABV1, EBV1, DHV1, EAV1 | ORA1, WFV1, AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, EUP1, EUC1, CUV1, TJC1, TJP1, TCP1
    CJC1, BVC1, C278, UBC1, IWC1, IWT1, CRV1, CDC1, CDP1, CTV1,C277, AHV1, C298, MGC1, AIV1, TPV1, BNC1, AJV1, SBT1, RBT1
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is still free, and the vouchers are ready to roll!

-scott
  • evlehnevlehn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck to all who are taking the exam. FYI: If you get the wait 48 hours message, just refresh the page every 20 minutes or so your voucher will appear. Well, as long as they have vouchers anyway.
    I would recommend their video training also. It is free as well and isnt too bad. I am through the first 2 videos and the guys doing it are fairly easy to follow and know their stuff.
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Great share! Got the voucher, many thanks.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Got the voucher as well!
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm happy to see that you guys are still able to register. My company needed me to go on-site all of a sudden, so I wasn't able to make it. Gonna see if I can get another voucher somehow.
    ~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
    Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog
  • SolitonSoliton Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was able to re-register!
    ~ A+ - Passed ~ CCNA - In Progress
    Your Recommended daily dose of security and privacy -> My Blog
  • cg1967cg1967 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Registered this morning for the voucher, got it and the exam is booked for the 10th Apr. It would've been criminal not to, after all, it's FREE :D
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

For the people who have taken and passed this, will this be enough Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Essentials - Online Training Course for Developers . I look through the MS video with the 2 chaps and there appeared to be loads of waffle as well. I intend to build a 2012 server and install use a laptop as the client I want to virtualise. Might be able to make a seconday pure hyperv server too. Can anyone recommended any further virtual labs ( ms ones? )

Im not too sure how deep this exam is.

All advice welcome.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    triplea wrote: »
    Hi,

For the people who have taken and passed this, will this be enough Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Essentials - Online Training Course for Developers . I look through the MS video with the 2 chaps and there appeared to be loads of waffle as well. I intend to build a 2012 server and install use a laptop as the client I want to virtualise. Might be able to make a seconday pure hyperv server too. Can anyone recommended any further virtual labs ( ms ones? )

Im not too sure how deep this exam is.

All advice welcome.

You will want to watch this if you haven't already: Microsoft Virtual Academy

Those are the videos that more or less lead to the free exam. Also the pluralsight videos are good on the hyper-v side but I am not seeing anything saying it covers SCVMM which will be a big part of the test. I have not taken it yet but I will guarantee it will be on there.
  • Dragon KillerDragon Killer Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, just receive this e-mail from Prometric/MS, looks like they have done some kind of massive mistake. So, my previous FAIL became a PASS \o/

70-409.jpg
    Currently hold: VCP5-DCV | VCA-DCV | Microsoft Exams 74-409/70-659/70-290 | ITIL v3
    Studying for: EMCISA v3, VCP6-DCV Delta and Red Hat
    Check out by blog - https://www.thinkit.com.br/en/