Options

A day in the life of the entry level professional...

mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if you those of you who have been there could describe the daily tasks of an entry level security professional. I am more curious about a what day-one as a pentester or security analyst is like but others may be interested in other IT realms so any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security Analyst (Level 1)

-Arrive, start reading email
    -Start up the SIEM
    -Read shift turnover
    -Analyze events related to malware, policy violations, intrusion detection, anomalies, and other suspicious activity - and document investigations with my finding when legitimate Incidents are discovered.
    -Cover ticketing queues for current open issues/incidents, user inquiry, phishing reports, account lockout issues, etc.
    -Perform vulnerability scans internally
    -Complete personal projects / study / read security news - I work 3rd shift, so I have a good amount of time to do this at night
    -Update shift turnover, leave
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    - Arrive about 5 minutes before shift change. Start BSing with the previous shift technicians and go over anything worth mentioning.

- Shift change. The supervisors of each section present their findings of their previous shift and anything important is passed along to all.

- The previous shift leaves and the current shift gets logged in, catches up with emails, logs into their tools, and gets started.

- Step out for a smoke, use the restroom, or just take a walk in the parking lot (I used to work nights).

- Lunch is had "on the clock" Most people either packed their lunches or pooled money together and sent a runner to go get something (burgers, tacos, subway, etc).

- Continue monitoring.

- Have another smoke, trip to the head, or walk outside.

- Study if the time presents itself.

- Start winding things down when the oncoming shift starts arriving (usually 10-15 minutes prior).

- Outgoing shift change, brief if asked to by the leads.

- Go home.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My previous job in a SOC was pretty much the same as above. I am now maybe a step up from that though, so while monitoring / creating tickets is still part of what I do, I am also doing some engineering / architect stuff as well as some technical auditing projects. And meetings. Lots of meetings.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I am going to piggy back on this thread cause it is along the same lines. But I have been looking at security a lot recently. Do you guys enjoy the work?
  • Options
    mooed_musicmooed_music Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it realistic to think someone could get a Security Analyst Level 1 position with no formal experience but has the ability to learn quickly and has Comptia A+, NET+, and SEC+? With no degree?
  • Options
    Bryan0530Bryan0530 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it's realistic to get a job... believe in yourself and market yourself well in the interview. I started without any experience and no degree, or certs, and got a decent job. I think you do have to know the tech concepts and keep going to school though. It is much easier get hired with education,experience, and certs though... without it you have a tough road ahead (but possible)
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Not trying to hijack this thread but I think my questions are relevant and maybe others were wondering the same.

Are most of the jobs mentioned above in a SOC? If not, what kind of company is it?

Also, what did you guys do before your infosec job? Or did you jump straight into infosec?
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1