What should i do?

ahad311ahad311 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to this forum, I'm about to start working as a Helpdesk Technician at a bank, and I've done Helpdesk before as an intern for two years. I'd like to grow beyond the Helpdesk position and do something challenging. What do you guys recommend me to do while i'm in helpdesk that will help me get exposed to more challenging tasks and add to my knowledge. Also what kind of certifications do you recommend?

Thank you

Comments

• kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    First question is what interests you? That is what certifications I would look at.
    - Like Microsoft? Consider starting with the the Windows 7 exam, Server 2008/2012, SCCM, Hyper-V (if virtualization interests you).
    - Cisco? Start with CCENT, Progress to CCNA, etc.
    - Security ? - Start with Comptia Security +

As to getting exposed more. If it is slow ask if there is anything you can help with. Take interest in things others are doing that you find interesting? Example (I like networking) when I did helpdesk I would ask if I could go help them install switches (if I had no work) or do patch panel runs for them.
  • ahad311ahad311 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Kohr-ah,

I find myself interested in server administration, i'm not sure how to start towards that path.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Server admin? I would suggest the following in order, which will also improve your skills for the new HD role and may provide an opportunity to transfer to Desktop/Networks in your company:

A+, Windows 7, Network+, Server 2008/2012 (depend on when you get to this and what is in your environment)
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    Get acquainted with the server guys at your workplace. Be willing to help anyway you can. Let them know you want to learn more. Show your enthusiasm for doing the work. If you run into an issue that you may have to escalate to the server team, try to narrow down the issue as far as you can instead of just escalating a ticket because it's out of your realm.

I'd look into getting a Windows 7 and Windows Server certification. Most likely that's the operating system being used at the bank.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!