Options

router info

Hi,

Is anyone an expert on routers?

We use various makes and models and they work when setup but there are loads of other options which dont mean alot ( we secure the wireless and turn on NAT and DHCP etc ) and are not explained in the book. Whats a VCI? or UBR or BSS slot time, annex mode/ etc? Does anyone know of a site with a definitive guide?

Thanks
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Your most definitive guides are usually going to be from the vendor. You said you have different makes and models, so first try each vendors website. Also some of the most helpful info will come from forums. This forum is mostly geared towards preparing for exams. Do some serious googling, for example search for "step by step configuration of a Cisco XXXX series router" or "setting up a Netgear XXXX router"

As far as the terms google them as well. VCI stands for Virtual Channel Identifier. Usually this is associated with ATM as is the case with most of the other terms you've listed. Googling for these terms as related to ATM's and you should get more than enough information. My knowledge of these types of networks and models is very limited, but there are several people who hang out in the CCNA,CCNP forums that should be able to help you out.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    did try a general forum elsewhere tbh first.

I was rather interested in doing the CWNP exam which is the reason Im asking. So far the CBT that my company have seems to skirt around most issues.

thanks anyway
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ok, if CWNP is what you're looking for, there's a forum there moderated by Jdmurry. He's very knowledgeable and will certainly help get you on the right track.
  • Options
    fair enough

perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to move this post for me rather than starting a new one.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Moved at your request :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    does the official cwna study guide at least explain all these options?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Keatron is correct: the support site for the specific router should not only be able to explain what all the configuration settings are, but also supply examples of when and why to change the default manufacturer's settings. Many of the features of wireless routers are to fix or mitigate specific problems, and many not need to be changed for most installations.

The 3rd edition of the CWNA Study Guide does explain a lot of these features and how they are used. However, I'd look at the router's support web site documentation first.