Options

Java SE 7 Programmer 1 (1Z0-803) ?

Anyone take this yet who can compare it to WGU's TXC1/TXP1/TYC1/TYP1? Programmer Level I Exam (The Java™ Tutorials > Bonus > Preparation for Java Programmer Language Certification) makes it seem really basic, and I'm almost wondering if I should ask WGU to let me take the OCPJP 6 instead of just the OCA 7.

When I signed up for WGU's software track, the course of study listed the OCPJP 6, and now it's changed to just the OCAJP 7, while getting the full OCPJP 7 takes two tests, the second of which is not included in my tuition.

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The OCA 7 exam is tough. I just passed it today, here's my thoughts: http://www.techexams.net/forums/oracle-certifications/96119-passed-wgu-edv1-oracle-oca-7-1z0-803-exam.html#post809382

WGU really should include or at least recommend Enthuware exams. The uCertify material is pitiful and inadequate.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Thanks for the info. I do plan on getting the Enthuware practice tests. They're only $10, and everyone over on Java Ranch swears by them.
  • Options
    Best of luck!
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I'm almost wondering if I should ask WGU to let me take the OCPJP 6 instead of just the OCA 7.

I currently have the OCPJP 6 class on my degree plan. They haven't swapped me over to the OCA 7 exam. The course number shows up as ANV1. Perhaps you could ask your mentor to change you over to that class?
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    Actually, while on the subject of the OCP 6 vs. the OCA 7, does any have an opinion on which one is more difficult? My guess is that they are relatively the same. I'm wondering if I should ask my mentor to swap me to the course with the OCA 7 since it is more recent.

Anyone have any input?
  • Options
    The OCA is basically half of the OCP JP7. Like with Cisco you can take the first test (ICND1 I think?) and gain a CCENT, then the ICND2 (?) to become full CCNA, with the Java stuff, you start with OCA Java Programmer 7, then take the OCP Java Programmer 7 for the full cert. With the OCP Java 6, there is no entry level OCA cert, just the 'real' OCP.

In other words, WGU watered down the program a bit.
  • Options
    aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed this exam on saturday with 51% and the passing was 63%.

The exam was expensive and it was a bit stupid of me to go with zero preparation, barely any knowledge of OOP as I have been working with procedural PHP and the only Java I ever did was in school so I barely remembered any of it.

Do not take this exam lightly, you need hands on practice and know outputs. My general experience with Oracle exams has been not so good. They seem to be harder and lengthier than Microsoft ones.
  • Options
    aswebdevaswebdev Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zidian wrote: »
    Actually, while on the subject of the OCP 6 vs. the OCA 7, does any have an opinion on which one is more difficult? My guess is that they are relatively the same. I'm wondering if I should ask my mentor to swap me to the course with the OCA 7 since it is more recent.

Anyone have any input?

I could be wrong here but to me it didn't seem like OCA7 had questions specific to version 7.

The focus was mainly on OOP, loop constructs, exceptions which have been around since before version 7.
  • Options
    aswebdev wrote: »
    I could be wrong here but to me it didn't seem like OCA7 had questions specific to version 7.

The focus was mainly on OOP, loop constructs, exceptions which have been around since before version 7.

Thanks! I think I'll just take the OCP 6 course and after I'm done with my degree explore having it upgraded to the OCP7.
  • Options
    I'm almost done with the last chapter of the Gupta book. I've bought the Enthuware tests and will take them in the next few days. Probably taking this Friday, if I can find a ride to the test site. My registration expired and I forgot to mail in the renewal. Ugh.
  • Options
    Good luck, please let us know how you do.
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    All the best. With coding practice, practice, practice makes the difference.....
  • Options
    Thanks. I've been keeping Eclipse open as I go, making examples of stuff I didn't understand. Hopefully after the Enthuware, I'll be confident to schedule for Friday.
  • Options
    Got a 62 on the first Enthuware test. Studying what I got wrong, mostly exception handling and casting stuff. I'll take the second one tomorrow, and if I get a 70 or higher, probably schedule the exam for Monday or Tuesday of next week.
  • Options
    62 is pretty good. The 'average scores' feature was dead on for me when comparing the Enthuware exam pack with my actual exam score.
  • Options
    After reviewing test one, I did test two and got 67%. Improvement, but not as much as I hoped. Definitely going to do the rest of the practice exams before I schedule the real thing. I'm probably overstudying, but that's fine with me.
  • Options
    I did all the practice tests a few times before I took the real exam. Based on my real exam I would call it overstudying a little but it certainly won't hurt you. I scored very high on my second go-round with this exam, thanks to Enthuware.
  • Options
    Passing is 63%, I'd be just fine with 75% or higher.