VMWare Fusion 6 or VMWare Professional?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Looking to add VMWare to my MacBook Pro, and not sure which one would be best. Right now it is for personal use, so no real heavy VM use (Win 8.1, some Linux, etc). So I turn to the gurus for their recommendations.

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VMware releases VMware Fusion 6 & Fusion 6 Professional with OS X Mavericks support

Lists some of the differences the big one being linked clones in Professional.

I use the "Unity" view so I can use a Windows application without "seeing" Windows but lately I really haven't had much of a use for it since I just switched to Mac versions of programs like Libre Office.

I would think if you just want to run a different OS you could just use Vmware Player.

edit: nvm Vmware Player isn't for Mac OS X, guess it would solve a lot of what you would want for free.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The big difference is that in Workstation you can easily run multiple VM's at the same time. Workstation also very much has the feel to vSphere so if you ever make that transition it's easy.
  • BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    If it's just playing around and personal use there probably isn't a need to get the business version.. I think you can get the normal version and upgrade from that later if required?

I use it for running and studying Linux and from what I read fusion was a little better than parallels for Linux compatibility. So I paid the money and have been happy with fusion thus far.

If you just want to test operating systems and basic stuff maby try virtual box or parallels? They are both free options. If you find they don't suit your need then perhaps fork out the cash for fusion. Google fusion 6 vs parallels there is a couple of good articles comparing the two.