Options

Whats next for me ?

BloodSweatPingsBloodSweatPings Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have just finished my degree in BSC computer networks and security, i have got a job, as a Technical support engineer. The pay is not so good, however i am very frustrated as there is not that much technical support at all. Supporting very basic products wifi/routers/switches.

I was looking for a junior network engineer role to start my career, ideally working in a enterprise network environment. Due to the tough job market and numerous interviews i had to settle for the above. My interests lies within ISP networks, (MPLS) as My final year project was looking at QoS for VoIP over MPLS VPN.

my goals with in the next 6 months are
Finish CCNP R&S
Finish CCNA Security
Begin CCNP Service provider

The CCNP R&S and CCNA Security should be easy to finish as my final year at university was a similar curriculum. I am asking the other professional is this right path to take or do i need to do change anything

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you want to work engineering in an ISP I'd skip the CCNA Security. Maybe replace that with the JNCIA. I'd also start looking for jobs in ISP NOCs. Experience is going to be the most important thing.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Networker is right on. Gaining good experience and keeping your existing skills sharp is where you should be focusing right now. I'd be focused on finding a job that's more in line with your career goals. Its a tough market, but there are positions out there. Apply, apply, apply. The worst they can tell you is no.
  • Options
    If you want to work engineering in an ISP I'd skip the CCNA Security. Maybe replace that with the JNCIA. I'd also start looking for jobs in ISP NOCs. Experience is going to be the most important thing.

Thanks for the advice, the only reason i want to do the CCNA security is that i have covered the curriculum in the 3rd year of university. As there wont be any studying from scratch. JNCIA sounds good, was thinking of going down the juniper route i guess this will be where i start then.

I have tried looking for jobs in ISPs but they want so much experience which i dont have, as i have just finished my degree.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Networker is right on. Gaining good experience and keeping your existing skills sharp is where you should be focusing right now. I'd be focused on finding a job that's more in line with your career goals. Its a tough market, but there are positions out there. Apply, apply, apply. The worst they can tell you is no.

So while i am in my current job, should i just keep practising on GNS3 with various scenarios to keep my skills upto date. I dont even mind a low salary if the job will fit in with my career goals