Options

70-642 scheduled for next Saturday

tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Not sure that I'm ready but with free 2nd shot, what the heck. I'm fairly comfortable with IP, DNS, DHCP, WSUS, File/Print services and monitoring because I deal with them all fairly regularly. The NAP, RRAS, DirectAccess, NPS stuff not so much. I feel like the cbt nuggets and 642 MS Press book aren't enough. I've been digging in technet but not sure what to expect with this test.

Anyone who has attempted / passed this one have any wisdom to share?
Let's Connect!
LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I've attempted but failed, lab as much as you can. Don't just understand the concepts and definitions, actually be able to click through dialogue boxes and remember what setts do what.

Good luck, i'm waffling myself as to when to schedule this exam. I'm tempted to do what you have done and schedule it earlier since they have the free second shot program going on.
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    Good luck... I been studying for this for awhile now.

I am have a hard time understanding DFS & Direct Access. Nevertheless I am determine and I hit the book across my face hard... some day I will get it and say, "Eureka!!"
  • Options
    Good luck... I been studying for this for awhile now.

I am have a hard time understanding DFS & Direct Access. Nevertheless I am determine and I hit the book across my face hard... some day I will get it and say, "Eureka!!"

I'm with you on the Direct Access stuff. It's pretty much impossible to lab out due to the infrastructure requirements. I've watched several youtube videos on the configuration but watching and doing are two very different things.

I keep scoring in the mid 70s on practice tests, probably not good enough come Saturday but we shall see.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    Well, that was rough. Failed with a 680... hurts when it's that close but the test definitely helped me figure out my weaknesses more than any practice tests did.

Going to give it another go in a few weeks. Let's hear it for the free second shot! In the meantime... icon_study.gif
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    Woo! 2nd time's a charm. Passed this morning! Now on to the 646.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats tier! I passed on the second try too - but I'm not brave enough to go for the 646 yet :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Congrats man! What material are you using for the 646? I'm starting to study for that one tonight as well.
  • Options
    The current plan is to go the route I did for the 640/642; the MS Press book and CBT Nuggets then just lab, lab and lab some more.
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog
  • Options
    Spot on, same here. I'll read the book then just lab and technet the crap out of the exam topics. Good luck!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats on the pass. Don't forget that the 646 covers a lot of stuff you would see if taking the 643/647 route. I've heard a lot of people say their tests seemed to weigh that stuff heavily. I went the 647 route and got kicked in the head by the test changing for R-2 content when I went to take the 643. M$ went through several test iterations after adding that content due to the high failure rate on 643/647 after the changes. 643 took me a few tries and 647 I got the first time (I was soaked in sweat at the end of the test though..lol)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Sweet .. Yes .. I am still study ing for this .. direct access still gets me
  • Options
    I failed with a 688