Options

Command line only or GUI?

wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ive just got a few of questions on this, im going to set up a server at the weekend for my studies. I've purchased the Sybex study guide and im going to do cbt nuggets probably. I'm wondering the following:

1. Which distro to use?

2. Do you need the GUI for L+?

3. Study time? CCNA took me about 6 months (3 months per exam, whilst working and studying degree)

I'm totally fine using command line, in fact, I'd rather use this only but I'm wondering if I'm tested on linux gui questions? I used to use ubuntu gui about 6 years back and liked it up until unity but the last 3 years I've only used command line on Ubuntu servers in my job. I used CentOS a few years back too.

Even though I use it in my job, I'm no expert and feel I've probably picked up bad habits and need to know the bases better, really excited to start this one!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Here's my advice...

1. I primarily practiced with Fedora, however, you may want to throw in CentOS to give you some variety.

2. No. Linux+ primarily focuses on command line.

3. Study time is going to vary from person to person. I gave myself 6 months, since I really wanted to learn the material - however, your mileage may vary depending on your prior level of exposure to Linux.

Hope this helps...
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Linux+/LPI exam will ask questions on both Debian & RedHat based distro's especially stuff like the differences of yum & apt-get & a few conf files. I can't speak for the web world, but the corporate Linux world is almost always Red Hat based. Therefore, Fedora & CentOS are the best platforms to learn on.

If you have access to Nuggets, do watch "Linux in the Real World" and both the CentOS and Ubuntu series. It's not all on the test but it'll definitely broaden your mind as you're learning. I find that I sometimes can't grasp a topic, but then it crosses into something else I study and I get it. The nuggets are not enough to pass but they're a damn good way to visualize everything.

As for CLI or GUI. It's all CLI. I would recommend you get into the habit of doing everything you can in CLI when usign a Linux desktop, even moving files. I'd also say that when you install things download the source code & compile to get that feel for it. It's head pounding against the wall material sometime but once you get it you'll never forget.

I find that once you learn those Linux command line stuff you just don't forget it.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks both for the info. Glad its just all command line based, the last few years I've just been using Ubuntu Server which is command line so its good there are no gui questions!

Yeah will go with CentOS then and signup to cbt nuggets to get an overview before I hit the books.

Really looking forward to this one, thanks!
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks both for the info. Glad its just all command line based, the last few years I've just been using Ubuntu Server which is command line so its good there are no gui questions!

Yeah will go with CentOS then and signup to cbt nuggets to get an overview before I hit the books.

Really looking forward to this one, thanks!

Go through practice questions to test your understanding. Also download exam objectives from CompTIA and go through these before taking the exams.