CCENT or CCNA R&S???

TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I just finished the last Cisco Networking Academy course, but the material was still centered on the old CCNA Exam. I am currently reading the CCNA R&S 200-120 Flash Cards, and the Odom books, in addition to the new CCNA Network simulator, CBT Nuggets videos, and Pearson Practice tests, and Netacad bridge material. Is this enough to prepare me for the full CCNA exam, or would I be better off taking the CCENT first, and then go for the second part??? Anyone have experience passing the new CCNA on the first try??? I tried taking the Microsoft 70-680 test, after taking a college course for it, and failed miserably, but I hear Cisco is not as tricky, when it comes to cert exams...

Thanks Guys,

Sebastian

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I don't know about Microsoft tests but I can assure you that Cisco tests ARE tricky and the wording of the questions will change the answer completely depending of a single word in the sentence. I would go CCENT first if you don't have real life experience with the gear for sure. If you have at least a year of experience, go for the CCNA straight but study well.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    From what I understand, the CCENT then CCNA sounds like the most optimal path for someone without any experience. I believe the 200-120 exam is geared more for people re-certifying or with real world experience. One key point I took was that you need to be quick on the 200-120. Also, there is no financial benefit for taking the 200-120, the price will be the same if you took CCENT then CCNA. (actually you save $5!)

That being said, if you have been studying the material and feel comfortable when reviewing the exam objectives, I'd say go for it. Just remember, you won't have as much time to critically think about questions as you would have if you decided to go the two exam route.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    as what CoolAsFan said, if you feel comfortable when reviewing the exam objectives. You go for it and take the CCNA Composite (200-120). But if you're not in a rush in acquiring certs then taken CCENT then CCNA. Practically speaking.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found the Cisco questions to be more straightforward than Microsoft. You still have to pay close attention to the wording, but they were definitely more fair. I also found the questions to be more relevant. MS likes to ask questions:

1) with confusing wording,
    2) that expect you to memorize pointless information that even most experienced engineers would have to look up (They especially love scenarios that require you to know what version of Windows/Windows Server supports some minor feature),
    3) that involve procedures you [and the vast majority of engineers] will probably NEVER perform in your entire career (procedures which can easily be looked up on Technet or Google by the rare Engineer that actually has to perform them), and
    4) that test on bugs/quirks that are not well known (which again can easily be resolved in 5 minutes on Technet)

Could you imagine if Cisco started expecting you to know which version/train/etc...of IOS was required to support some feature almost noone uses? That is what MS does on most of its tests.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, guys. I decided to study for the CCENT first, then when I get my Netacad exam voucher I'll sign up for the two exams separately. I'll also, probably take the CCNA Bridge, CCNP Route, and CCNP Switch courses, at my college this Spring.
  • Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to disagree with the 'no financial benefit' aspect of taking both exams over the composite. If you fail the composite exam, you're out all that cash. You DO have the voucher from NetAcad, play it smartly and go the 2-test route. I used my 75% off voucher and failed my composite exam last year (ran out of time w/ 3 questions to go, scored 804 or something) and flat out lost my focus for a while after that. Not saying you'd do the same, but if I had to do it over again I woulda checked my ego at the door before scheduling it, saving myself the entire expense of the retest.

Best of luck either way!
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf