vlan crisis

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
Having vlan crisis with settings on IOS router and IOS switch.

So I can set ip addresses of a vlan on both router and the switch.

Do the ip addresses need to be same for both router and switch? Or do they need to be different?
Or do I setup only on one device? (as in if vlan setting configured on router, don't on switch, vice versa)

Thanks and ya'll great.

-Sn

Comments

• colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate to sound like a *****... but how exactly did you pass CCNA R&S?

The IP addresses will need to be different but in the same subnet if you want to connect from one to the other. The only reason the router should need to know about the vlan is if you have configured a trunk to the router for something like router-on-a-stick.
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    I agree, as a CCNA Security who can't figure out vlans, I deserve to be shot.
    But thank you for the answer nonetheless.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't go as far as shooting, but maybe you should remove ccna r&s and security from your cert list as clearly you are not a CCNA even though you have a paper that says so.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    sendalot wrote: »
    Having vlan crisis with settings on IOS router and IOS switch.
    So I can set ip addresses of a vlan on both router and the switch. Vlans are usully configured on Switches. And routers or L3 switch can route .
    Do the ip addresses need to be same for both router and switch? Or do they need to be different? You must be talking about management vlan interface and it's ip correct? If you configure two interfaces or two management vlans with the same ip address, how do you figure it will work on the same network?
    Or do I setup only on one device? (as in if vlan setting configured on router, don't on switch, vice versa) Are you clear on what Vlans are used for?
    Thanks and ya'll great.
    -Sn

Q. what are you tryng to accomplish?
    This may help you - What is a VLAN? How to Setup a VLAN on a Cisco Switch
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    sendalot wrote: »
    So I can set ip addresses of a vlan on both router and the switch.

yes, you can setup ip addresses of a vlan on both, but they cannot be identical, they cannot be the same...

What are you trying to do???
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    Yes, I was having a slight hiccup and setting them up. I'm aware of how they are used.
    Thanks.