Options

EngRob's Quest for WGU BS IT/Security Glory

EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
Time to jump on the thread bandwagon to keep myself on track. Start date was Nov 1st 2013 and i'm hoping to get completed in a maximum of 3 terms which would be 41 CU's each. 2 terms would be even better but I know this is aggressive since I only transferred in 3 CU's as non of my international college courses would transfer icon_sad.gif.

Well I started off much slower than I had hoped. There was a lot of back and forth with my mentor and I literally had to complete everything in EAV1 before my mentor opened up the voucher. After some frustration my exam was finally scheduled for 12/3 and I came out with a decent 835/900. I then got 98% in the EBV1 pre-assessment so I think that gave me some ammo to move at a faster pace and I was able to get a voucher in next to no time.

Anyway, EBV1 is scheduled for today 12/17/13. CLC1 is scheduled for 12/19/13 (71% on pre-assessment), and i'll be starting on TBP1 at the weekend with a goal to knock it out before Christmas (73% on pre-assessment, which I know isn't productive since you have to write the papers no matter what).

Anyone have some suggestions for the GE classes after that? In terms of the Certifications I'm saving the Cisco fun until term #2 but would really like to get Security+ and Linux+ and whatever else I can squeeze in to Term 1. I'm thinking the Web Development courses would be fun (EUC1 and EUP1).

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I didn't do a bachelor's from WGU, so I can't comment on the GE classes, but you are off to a great start!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Hey EngRob, sounds like your off to a good start! I can't really comment on the GE classes because I transferred most of them in, but for the ones I do have remaining, I am saving them for after all the cert classes. No particular reason other than I am excited to get some credentials that will help me get a job before I graduate.

As far as the struggles with your mentor, I have found that once you "set a baseline" for how well/quickly/successful you can go through classes and pass the exams, then your mentor (at least mine did) will give you much more freedom.

Good luck with your studies!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    EBV1 in the bag - 834/900! On to studying for CLC1 for Thursday.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Hey, congrats.
  • Options
    CLC1 passed with 70%. Glad that one is over!!
  • Options
    So much for keeping myself straight and updated with this....oh well, time to update.

Took a little time off around Feb to get married, etc.

Remaining Term 1
    TBP1 - Completed 3/11/11. Really disliked this course and had to really push myself to write. Not looking forward to TCP1
    CTV1 (Security+) - Completed 4/11/14, wasn't too difficult since I work in the Security field

Term 2 (slowed down this term a little to enjoy married life, plus my wife was pregnant)
    C246 (CCENT) - Completed 6/30/14
    C247 (CCNA) - Completed 8/30/14

Term 3 (Current)
    C220 (Linux+ Part1) - Completed 12/06/14
    C221 (Linux+ Part2) - Completed 12/13/14
    BVC1 - Completed 12/28/14

Now that leaves me with the dreaded TCP1 that i'm really disliking. Any tips for pushing through would be greatly appreciated......
  • Options
    So i'm in the final stretch, Term 6 started May 1st and only 19CU to go. I can almost smell the finish but it still seems so far away, probably because I have mostly GE classes left. I've been taking forever for the GE content due to lack of interest (plus getting married, having a baby, changing jobs x2, and multiple certs....lol). Ideally i'd love to get this out of the way ASAP and transfer into the masters. Any comments or feedback is appreciated!

Anyway, here's what I have left:
    C277 (Finite Maths) - Pre assessment passed, exam scheduled for 5/6 PM
    C278 (College Algebra) - Don't expect it to be extremely hard, hoping to knock out within 2 weeks.
    CJC1 (Intro to Probability and Statistics) - Unsure, haven't looked at the content (2 weeks?)
    INC1 (Integrated Natural Science) - *Sigh*....another science class (2 weeks?)
    Python (unsure of Course#) - Excited for this one
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep it up dude blessings!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Thanks! Just passed Finite Maths (C277)....4 classes left