Options

I feel dumb by interviewer questions

mrmtmrmt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am applying to a Network Engineer level 1 position an don the job description posted, it mentioned everything related to network engineer and I am quite comfortable with it.

So I got a phone interview yesterday, the interviewer asked me all kind of questions but none of those questions have to do with network engineer.

One example questions: How do you create store procedure for SQL?

My goodness sake, that question is for database admin, it is not for network engineer. Why they asked me that kind of question? So I did not know what to answer. So I did not answer most of their questions and they told me "We will keep in touch!"

Have you ever been in that kind of situation? How did you handle it?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Never been in a situation like that. Why would they be asking questions about technologies not in the job description? I wouldn't bother with them even if they called you back.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    mrmt wrote: »
    I am applying to a Network Engineer level 1 position an don the job description posted, it mentioned everything related to network engineer and I am quite comfortable with it.

So I got a phone interview yesterday, the interviewer asked me all kind of questions but none of those questions have to do with network engineer.

One example questions: How do you create store procedure for SQL?

My goodness sake, that question is for database admin, it is not for network engineer. Why they asked me that kind of question? So I did not know what to answer. So I did not answer most of their questions and they told me "We will keep in touch!"

Have you ever been in that kind of situation? How did you handle it?

The guy is either an idiot or simply wanted to gauge your response to asking you a question outside your "realm: so to speak. I assume he was gauging your attitude. If you blurted out "How am I supposed to know? I'm not a DBA" then that wouldn't go over well. He was most likely looking for something like

"Well, I am not really familiar with SQL, I would have to google and do some research to find a resolution. Or if you happen to have a database team, I would reach out to them for assistance in finding a resolution".
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Did they reference the job title at all during the interview? Maybe they accidentally mixed up what position they were interviewing for.

If that's not the case then run far, far away! Sounds like they don't have their act together and have unrealistic expectations of whoever they hire.
  • Options
    mrmtmrmt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, they introduced themselves then they mentioned this interview is for network engineer level 1.

I think I will probably run far from them. It sounds like they want to hire "one man does all the jobs" ... but what weird to me was that they never asked me one question about networking.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I will also add to my initial reply that it should be a "yellow flag" to you that that question came up. I assume this is a small shop and once inside the door they will be looking to pile things like this on you. So like Dieg0M stated, I would look elsewhere.

I keep telling people, the day of the generalist is dead. Makes me sick how companies want and better yet expect to get more "bang" for their buck parse.

Do you go to a cardiologist for a brain tumor? Do you go to a chiropractor for bunions?

Ok, before people get upset, yes generalists still exist..."good" ones on the other hand are a diamond in the rough. I quite being a generalist because being mediocre in 12 disciplines no longer does it for me. I want to be an expert.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Well, but. . .

"Network engineering" is becoming even more of a catch-all phrase than it was in the past, and it used to be bad enough as it was. :) Now, you're supposed to know a bit of even more everything-- if it can be connected to a network you should have at least brushed up against it. You "should" know some SQL, some Puppet, some VMWare, some Linux, some Windows Server, a slew of SANs and firewall boxes. . . oh yeah, did I mention you're Tier III desktop support as well and of course you can fix that legacy ID card system HR has that runs on Windows 98?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    Well, but. . .

"Network engineering" is becoming even more of a catch-all phrase than it was in the past, and it used to be bad enough as it was. :) Now, you're supposed to know a bit of even more everything-- if it can be connected to a network you should have at least brushed up against it. You "should" know some SQL, some Puppet, some VMWare, some Linux, some Windows Server, a slew of SANs and firewall boxes. . . oh yeah, did I mention you're Tier III desktop support as well and of course you can fix that legacy ID card system HR has that runs on Windows 98?

I don't think that's true, any serious company worth working for knows what a network engineer role is and his limitations.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    I don't think that's true, any serious company worth working for knows what a network engineer role is and his limitations.

It may not be true where you are but thats EXACTLY what its like where I live, all the networking jobs that I have seen, require some sort of Windows Server knowledge. Its annoying, for me to get experience as a network engineer I have to learn windows server to get my first job.

If I moved to the city you are right, I think companies would know the limitations, but I can't move at the moment so have to learn as much as I can CCNA/MCSA/L+... Hopefully after that I can focus on Network Engineer.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    What does the job description say?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Have any mentions of SQL on your resume? If so I can see them asking you about it even if it's not in the job description.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, but. . .

I saw a position like that the other day. It was for a network engineer, needs to know VMWare, MS Server, Exchange, SQL, Windows 7 support, firewalls, remote access... I think the remote access was the only thing they listed that was even close to network anything, sometimes I think people just hear a title and think it makes sense for the position and we are a lot more critical of it.
  • Options
    Position titles mean nothing at interviews. I have seen some job titles ask for a network support when they actually wanted an engineer that could do design. I have seen titles that asked for an engineer when they really needed someone to do helpdesk support role. When you interview for a position you really have to make sure the job tasks are clear.
  • Options
    itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    In my state when interviewing I find it that they are looking for someone that can do the main role that is listed on the job title. However; they are also looking for someone that can do other task outside of their role. For example. I was hired one time to do a help desk job primary, but because of my education and past network experience they also wanted me to deal with network issues and work alone side with the network engineer team. So, don't be surprise if they ask anything related to SQL or Database. I would assume that they have another net-worker that matches your skill sets however; he or she might have database experience and they might want to know if you have any in order for them to make a decision who is better suited for the job. If they don't call the that job was not meant for you just keep hammering toward one that will use your entire skill set. Then you can learn new one in that position to secure a different job later on. Maybe look into Database? XD just a though.

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Seems very suspicious to me, keep away. It would have been okay if they asked a few networking questions. What the interviewer in IT or HR? Makes a big difference.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you go to a cardiologist for a brain tumor? Do you go to a chiropractor for bunions?
    Haha! I work in a small shop and made a similar quote to someone here: "You're coming to your auto mechanic for a suggestion on replacing window blinds!" Yours is great haha!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "I'm not really familiar with SQL to that degree. I can do some basic queries to get information out of an NMS database for reporting purposes, but that's the extent of my knowledge right now. Is that required of this job? Based on the job description I read, I thought this was more of a routing & switching network engineer job".
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, but. . .

Howd you get my job description?
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I am very thankful for this thread as I believed it was just me and my inadequate preparation into this field that were the problem. I have come to the realization that I will never attain a Network Engineering role without becoming very proficient in the knowledge of both Windows server and VMWare. I do not see any Network Engineering jobs in my area without at least these 2 requirements. In fact, they are usually what the role is based around.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Position titles mean nothing at interviews. I have seen some job titles ask for a network support when they actually wanted an engineer that could do design.

Is that really too much to ask to do both? I'm quite happy to be paid to do design and instead do a bit of easy support work. I still replace the odd network module when they've been ripped out of the wall by a user despite being the senior engineer in the company.

I'd find having SQL knowledge a very useful skill despite there being a dedicated database admin here.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on the size of the network. If it's a large network both design and support are full time jobs. If it's a small network then you can get away with one person or group to do it all.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's a network engineer role that sounds like mostly desktop support

Junior Network Engineer - Fast-growing IT support company
  • Options
    upnorth77upnorth77 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I saw a position like that the other day. It was for a network engineer, needs to know VMWare, MS Server, Exchange, SQL, Windows 7 support, firewalls, remote access... I think the remote access was the only thing they listed that was even close to network anything, sometimes I think people just hear a title and think it makes sense for the position and we are a lot more critical of it.

Heh, sounds like a job I just posted. In a lot of small shops it goes...
    Tier 1: Helpdesk
    Tier 2: SysAdmin
    Tier 3: Network Admin

The actual duties are sometimes irrelevant to the title. The titles are there because they are something HR can understand. But for an interviewer to ask you about skills that aren't listed in the qualifications in the ad, that's pretty odd, to me.