Time taken to pass CCNA

ednardednard Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
My plan is to take ICND1 and ICND2 next summer between my second and third years at university. I understand every person is different and none of you can accurately judge how long it will take me personally, so I'm just looking to gather information really on those who have gained their CCNA recently, and how long it took them to achieve it (whether they went for the two exam route, or the single exam route).

So, how long did it take you to gain your CCNA from the day you decided to start studying?

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    It depends.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • ednardednard Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    It depends.
    I completely understand that. I'm not asking for opinions on whether people think my goal is possible, I'm just trying to collect information on how long it took others to pass their exam. Just a roughtime frame and their prior experience between studying for it is all I'm after.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Took me roughly 80-100 hours. This includes, practice exams, labs and reading the books. I did have 3 years of networking experience before I passed the exam though.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    Before even touching a single router or switch I learned some basic subnetting from an acquaintance and they told me that I could learn alot more if I pursued the CCNA certification. So with no prior experience I went out and bought a book, when I first opened up the CCNA book I sat down for 30 days and studied. I fortunately had the time available and did nothing but study for close to 10 hours a day at the time. I loved the material and I felt challenged. I took the test at the end of the 30 days and failed though, it sucked but it gave me new insight and knowledge. I applied for a job and was hired on shortly after. Three months later after getting alot more practical hands on and only reading about 2 hours a day I passed the exam. It was an awesome feeling.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am sure if you dedicate your summer to it you could do it. Only you can know if you will do it.

I am new to networking and I believe it will take me about a year to earn my CCNA. I am taking the 4 Cisco Academy classes which basically decided my schedule.

Good Luck
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    took me about 3 months right off of the heels of the passing the net+. I had no prior network experience before this. I wasn't working much at the time so I was able to study a ton! Definitely get some videos and do labs, I used CBT nuggets and Chris Bryant videos as well as packet tracer. Best of luck.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Had 6-7yrs experience, got my NA within 3 months I think?

Thing is, do you want a cert just to have one or how exactly do you plan to retain and or expand the knowledge?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • colby_arcolby_ar Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was fairly experienced with Cisco networking and it took me a little over a month to do the two exam route. I would actually recommend the INE videos over CBT Nuggets. I didn't do much reading but did skim several topics in the Lammle study guide. Most of my time was spend recreating the INE labs in Packet Tracer and then working through most of the labs from 101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It took me 4 months from relatively little networking understanding to CCNA on the previous iteration of exams. I used Todd Lammle's books, CBT nuggets, 2x 2601 routers w/t1 crossover, 2x 2501 switches, lots of practice and a ridiculous amount of subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online. Hope this helps in your preparation.

Edit: By previous exams I mean the last series before they revised them are the ones I took to certify.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • SdotLowSdotLow Member Posts: 239
    I spent 3-4 weeks doing Network+, which gave me a pretty good understanding of networking basics.

CCENT took 1 to 1.5 months, I believe, immediately following getting the Net+ cert. I was working 50-60 hour weeks at the time of my studying.

One thing that will make your life SO much easier is hands on. Whether it's real hardware or packet tracer, just doing the books won't cut it. I used 2 different books, videos, and Boson ExSim-Max practice tests.

Good luck!
    Had 6-7yrs experience, got my NA within 3 months I think?

Thing is, do you want a cert just to have one or how exactly do you plan to retain and or expand the knowledge?
    My plan is to gain my CCNA this summer, and gain a 1st class degree in Computer Science in the summer of 2015. I'm currently working as an Apprentice Technician at a university full time which is earning me experience in the field, and I'm also a student at the university and have unlimited access to the networking labs whenever I want, which has various different Cisco Routers, Switches and Servers. I plan to make the most of this and plan on beginning studying for a CCNP whilst looking for a CCNA level job in networking, just to expand knowledge in certain areas.

I figure with a years experience, a CCNA and a first class degree, it looks better to potential employers to get me interviews, and then it's up to me to demonstrate my knowledge.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I studied for 6 months and passed the composite exam by 7 points.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • akboyboyakboyboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It took me a little under a year
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think it took me about three months and I did the composite exam. I had a few years experience at that point.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took me 6-7 months. No networking experience.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    about 10 months to to take both certifications: CCENT, CCNA, Took some networking courses 5 yrs ago.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    About 3 months of hardcore reading/labbing, I had SOME networking experince and also had N+ prior to getting into CCNA study.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    6 months [after 11 years without touching the CLI.] I was probably ready in 3 months [after Odom's book], but I took another 3 months to read Lammle's book, do more labs, etc...
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    ednard wrote: »
    My plan is to gain my CCNA this summer, and gain a 1st class degree in Computer Science in the summer of 2015. I'm currently working as an Apprentice Technician at a university full time which is earning me experience in the field, and I'm also a student at the university and have unlimited access to the networking labs whenever I want, which has various different Cisco Routers, Switches and Servers. I plan to make the most of this and plan on beginning studying for a CCNP whilst looking for a CCNA level job in networking, just to expand knowledge in certain areas.

I figure with a years experience, a CCNA and a first class degree, it looks better to potential employers to get me interviews, and then it's up to me to demonstrate my knowledge.

You need to be focusing on networking...everything you do should revolve around R/S right now. When it comes time to find a job, if I looked at your resume..I would skip over your "1st Class Degree" and go directly to your experience. Cert is fine and all but what skills do you bring to my organization is what I would be thinking. Then when you run into a solid technical interview it will be all on you to demonstrate critical thinking coupled with your experience.

To reiterate, make sure you do networking day to day and if possible add that experience to your CV. I didn't get to work in the field while going to school, would have been nice. Also, remember your reputation is of paramount importance. Do you want to be known as a fast learner, someone willing to take on bigger tasks, someone unwilling to accept mediocrity? You can create a nice network of Engineers that can vouch for you and or help you find a position.

Good luck!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • tayro12tayro12 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it took me 8 months on/off study then 2 months with devoted 2 hrs of study time on weekdays and 8-10 hrs on weekends.
    You need to be focusing on networking...everything you do should revolve around R/S right now. When it comes time to find a job, if I looked at your resume..I would skip over your "1st Class Degree" and go directly to your experience. Cert is fine and all but what skills do you bring to my organization is what I would be thinking. Then when you run into a solid technical interview it will be all on you to demonstrate critical thinking coupled with your experience.

To reiterate, make sure you do networking day to day and if possible add that experience to your CV. I didn't get to work in the field while going to school, would have been nice. Also, remember your reputation is of paramount importance. Do you want to be known as a fast learner, someone willing to take on bigger tasks, someone unwilling to accept mediocrity? You can create a nice network of Engineers that can vouch for you and or help you find a position.

Good luck!
    I appreciate the advice, and thank you.
  • esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took me 1.5 years which includes being enrolled in the Networking Academy (it's added in our college curriculum). Within that year, I dedicated at least 3 months to read and understand Todd Lammle's CCNA study guide plus laboratory activities from my cisco instructor.
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • mtjikuzumtjikuzu Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It took me about 6 months of studying of full on studying, I failed the exam twice along the way. I used the 2 exams route after I failed the composite exam.
  • lamha88lamha88 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Last year during the summer, Net+ took me about 4 weeks of reading and a little bit of memorization. I quickly followed it up with sec+ the next month, and took the CCENT about 5 weeks after that. It was four weeks of reading from the Odom book, and a week of crazy labbing and practice exams (packet tracer). College started up again, so I had to put the ICND2 on hold until this year. ICND2 took me about 5 weeks as well. A month of reading followed by a week of crazy labbing and practice exams (also done in packet tracer). So it took me a total of 2 and a half months for the CCNA. I'd say its doable as long as you stay focused. By crazy labbing, I mean 2-4 hours a day either doing random scenarios or doing free labs you can find online. By practice exams, I mean taking the boson exam, studying the areas I did the worst in, then taking the next set of practice exam questions. Rinse/wash/repeat until I felt confident. Throw in the Pearson practice exams from Odom's book if you feel extra masochistic.