Options

Thoughts on job offer

zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I currently work as a Sys Admin/IA Engineer in the Hampton Roads area of VA and I passed my CISSP back in October. I have about 6 years of IT/IA experience 4 of which were in the Air Force. I got offered a job yesterday in Indian Head, MD as a Princicapl Sys Ad/Assistant IAM. The job comes with a pretty nice pay bump plus gets me and the fiance' 4 hours closer to our families (expecting our first child any day now).

I think it sounds like a great opportunity because of the pay, proximity to family and the experience in an assistant management role, plus a side perk would be the increased BAH rate from the 9/11 G.I. bill. I'm currently pursuing my MBA with a concentration in Info Sys Management. The BAH rate for the area I would be taking night classes in (Alexandria) is 2,175 a month. So this position would give me management experience to couple with the management degree as well.

Basically I am curious if anyone lives or works in that area. The job is in Indian Head but they said most people who work there live in La Plata or Waldorf. Anyone in those areas or could give insight into them? I heard they aren't quite as crowded as Alexandria, DC etc but are close enough to still go into the city if you wanted for the day.

Thanks anyone for any insight and I am excited about this great opportunity, never would of passed my CISSP without the help of the people on this site!

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I just wanted to say nice job on the CISSP and on the offer.

I however have no insight into the area as I've only lived in Indiana Illinois and South Carolina :-/
  • Options
    Kohr-ah,

Thanks a lot! I have seemed the benefits of adding the CISSP to my resume quickly. I added it last month and since then I have gotten a number of phone calls and emails about IA/Security related Sys Ad/IA Roles. I will say having my clearance and military background definitely helps as well. I'm excited about the move, just wanted to see what others here thought and if anyone had any experience at working in Indian Head or that area in Maryland

Thanks again TE!
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent job ZX! Great job on getting your CISSP as well, totally looking forward to your updates/progress!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    Thanks!

No one with any experience in that area?
  • Options
    Officially accepted the offer yesterday. Thanks to those who chimed in, was hoping to get some more feedback from people who have lived or worked in the area
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a time, I lived in Reston which is about 10 miles outside of DC. Some parts are expensive and some parts are not too bad if you're renting. I'd say metro it if you can. Maybe try Chantilly or some of the surrounding areas that aren't too expensive.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    was hoping to get some more feedback from people who have lived or worked in the area

Probably needed to give more than just 24hrs for people to respond :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Zxbane I'm not to far from Indian Head in my opinion it's a nice area. You'll hear some people say Waldorf is bad but honestly I think it's a nice area.
    If you're looking for housing something close to to Indian Head highway/RT210 would be ideal as it gives you easy access to the base for work and will take you to the foot of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, I95, National Harbor, and the new Outlet shopping mall.

if you have any more questions about the area let me know and feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'm also in Southern MD.
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    Congratulations on the new position! It will fit in very well with your coming Masters degree. Maybe consider a short term lease somewhere to get a feel for the better areas, and find somewhere you want to call home?
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Congrats on the JOB. I live in Southern MD, and went to school at ODU C/O '06. 210 traffic is a beast if your heading into the City or Alexandria Tyson etc. Since your working in Indian Head, you shouldnt not have to worry about traffic. Not sure about your wife. My wife cant stand the traffic. She is from Richmond, Va so its been hard on her adjusting, something to think about. Housing, in Southern MD housing is affordable compared to the rest of the DMV area. The good thing is you get the best bang for your buck and you are still not too far from the City, Alex DC etc. Schooling, Im not a fan of PG County schools. Id research schools very closly when your are about to purchase. Charles Cty, Im not sure of. Live further down 210, closer up to the beltway is more crime area's Oxon Hill, Clinton, Forrest Heights, Temple Hills. Id avoid those areas, just my opinion.

Any more questions just shoot me a pm. Once again congrats.