Tablet for WGU?

BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
Hi all,

Just curious from those that have gone through the WGU programs. Any idea if a tablet would be useful for learning/reading?
Do tablets load their website/forum alright? E-reading/Ucertify work on one?

I am currently looking to start the MS:ISA program and was thinking of picking up a tablet to do some of my e-reading and work. I understand most of this should be at a laptop/desktop but I am trying to find ways to save time/multi-task, so things like being able to read while sitting on a bike in the gym sounds appealing if I can make it work.

Just curious if anyone had any suggestions on what could work/doesn't work/has worked, and if you've also tried it, how you were able to use it successfully.

Thanks!icon_study.gif

Comments

• CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    BGraves wrote: »
    Any idea if a tablet would be useful for learning/reading?
    Do tablets load their website/forum alright? E-reading/Ucertify work on one?

Absolutely yes. Yes. Absolutely yes for E-reading, Ucertify idk, but I assume yes.

With tablets, you can choose the desktop or the mobile version of the website.

I think ALL WGU supplied textbooks are e-books, this alone should be your deciding factor to grab a tablet. Tablets are also great for loading up your CBT Nuggets videos or whatever other video tutorials you use and want to be mobile. And if it helps, I probably spend about 70% of time on tablet/ 20% on desktop/ and 10% on whiteboard and regular pencil/paper when it comes to my WGU studies.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • upnorth77upnorth77 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My galaxy nexus 7 was great for reading the e-books through Vitalsource.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I have posted this like crazy, but WGU uses Skillport, and I have found the Kindle Fire to be the best at handling Skillport books
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • upnorth77upnorth77 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my vitalsource library, I have books for CCNA, CCNA Security, CCENT, Java, MTA Database, MTA Software, MTA OS, MTA Web Dev, Organizational Behavior....Skillport is for lessons outside of e-books.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    If you're going to get a tablet, I don't recommend getting a 7" one. I had a 7" Kindle Fire that I had flashed stock Android onto, and what I found was that the screen was just a liiiittle too small to read comfortably on without having to zoom on a regular basis. I have since upgraded to the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, and it makes a world of difference, especially when you are reading PDF files.

Go with bigger if you can afford it. Either an 8.9" Kindle Fire or an iPad Mini.
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Thanks everyone, the posts were quite helpful! I guess I'll start looking in to these and see what I can come up with before the start of the term!
    Appreciate all the responses!