Options

SANS Now Accredited

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
They announce (last night I think) that they are now fully accredited. Pricing is a little steep, but once you factor in that you will be getting their certifications as you complete the courses it is actually a really good deal. $250 to apply (which is honestly insane considering it is non-refundable). Also, they require a video presentation be submitted with your application. Definitely on the list since they are now fully accredited.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice! This will be an option that I may now consider.

Here's a link with a little more info: Masters Degree in Information Security - SANS Technology Institute
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let's call it what it is $45,000 isn't even close to being a good deal for a brand new uni based off certs.
    Probably closer to $50k after the residencies

Just like with there exams they got greedy.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's attractive, but quite steep for a M.S. degree. I'd expect pricing like that from a highly rated B&M, but not from SANS.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For those that have it, the GI Bill can put this within reach...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    *Imagines trying to talk boss into paying for this program* Sheesh, And I thought getting him to finally agree to pay for attending GSEC in 2014 came with a lot of profane language, lol. I'll have to pass on this Masters program. Sounds pretty cool though.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have yet to work for a company which actually pays for uni courses at all. At a stretch my MD once paid for my first VCP (3) - not because he is nice, but because he wanted the Partner status from VMware (not that I complain, it defined my career).
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well the going rate for most graduate schools is $30k. You factor in the cost to take those certifications (without attending the school) and it evens out. So yeah it's a little high, but compared to most programs I'd say it is competitive.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Many of the faculty hold PhD and Masters degrees from institutions like MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Harvard Business School and other leading schools.

I wonder why none of them have their degree from SANS :P