Options

70-640 in 60 minutes...

EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have no idea if I'm ready or not... Second shot takes a little of the pressure off at least.
Currently Reading: A cereal box
BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Although second shot is great, you should study like you don't have a safety net!

The 70-640 is a beast...slay the beast! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    How did it go?
  • Options
    Failed with a 655. Fully 1/3 of the questions were on Certificate Services, my weakest area. Did well just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Sounds like you are right on track man, it seems as though MS knows your weakest area's doesn't it? I failed my last 70-642 exam with a 655 and i swear i had about 8 questions on ipv6 and another 4 or 5 on DNSSEC (two area's i'm bad in).

When are you going to retake?
  • Options
    Probably within the first two weeks of January. Need to find some good CS resources.
  • Options
    xordisxordis Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like my first attempt.
    Missed it by about 6 questions and cert questions were my weakness.
    Stick with it and go back as soon as you can.
    I made the mistake of waiting 3 months and it was just as hard the second time round as the first. (except I knew where to prepare and passed)
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    For me, labbing was huge on the ADCS because it's not something the typical admin encounters.

Also, thanks to the 70-640 I was able to scramble, identify, and fix a CRL issue a few months ago!
  • Options
    unfbilly11unfbilly11 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been having difficulty with this exam too. In the same area you are in fact, Certificates. My major problem with that section is that I have yet to find any testing resources that accurately depict the type of Certificate questions on the exam. For example, on a MeasureUp test, you'll see a question like "Company XYZ wants to implement a two tier PKI Heirarchy with an offline root CA. What is the best option for an issuing CA?" In reality, you won't see anything all that simple on the actual test so you really never get a gauge on what you actually know. I just labbed as much as I could over and over again and I did see an improvement on my certificate score the last time.
  • Options
    Passed the retake today with an 856. Labbed my tail off (my hyper-v server only has 4GB, so labbing with more than three machines is problematic). Also used videos from William Grismore - YouTube to help with the CS weakness.

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Options
    shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • Options
    bull313bull313 Member Posts: 138
    Nice job! Now on to 641!!! icon_thumright.gif
    "Follow your dreams. You CAN reach your goals. I'm living proof. Beefcake! BeefCAAAAAAAKKKKE!!!"-Eric Cartman
  • Options
    Hitting 642 next.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! After 640, 642 shouldn't be too bad.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    EasyMac308 wrote: »
    Hitting 642 next.

Congrats on the pass. The only reason I passed is from the wisdom from this forum. Also Labs.. a lot of Lab time

I am studying for the 70-642 .. I just scheduled the exam for the 30th of Jan. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    gibbers82gibbers82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations,

I am currently studying for the 640, i was thinking of booking it for 7 weeks time...

I am using cbt nuggets and the official book and have a test lab at work and at home, planning to do about 8/10 hours a week of study but wondering if 7 weeks is too soon, it seems to be going in ok but i havent touched on the harder topics of dns and certificate's yet.

I guess with the second shot i may as well go for it and book it up as it will be my first MS exam.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How much experience do you already have with AD, DNS ect?

If you dont already have at least a year of experience I would highly recommend studying longer then 7 weeks. This is a lot of content and labbing is your best friend.
  • Options
    gibbers82gibbers82 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work with AD daily so have a good base knowledge, i have also been revising for about 4 weeks already.

Exam will be paid for by work and i have the second shot, hopefully even if i fail i will learn about what the MS exams are like as it will be my first one.