Options

IT job pay question

SmithozzieSmithozzie Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok a little background about myself: i have a Associates Degree in Cisco Networking, currently in progress for my BA in IT Management.. I have very little professional IT experience (Data Doctors for 5 months), I have multiple Networking Certs: CCENT, CCNA, (1/3rd of the way to my CCNP).

I just completed over the phone job interview for a call center IT position. The Interviewer sounded impressed with my qualifications and my certifications. I got approved for a face to face second interview, but it sounds like unless something goes wrong I have the job.

I am currently getting paid crap (9/hr [in Arizona]) at Data Doctors, and I have no clue what pay I should be asking for when I go in for my second interview. I would probably accept any pay rate above 9/hr because the experience is what i need to build a resume for future jobs, however I think a fair pay would be starting around 14-15/hr...

Just wondering what you guys think? The job is basic IT support for a call center...

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I would say $15/hr would be a solid income for your experience. I started just under $15/hr when I first started in IT as on-site support technician, impressed my employer and was bumped up to around $17/hr after six months.
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes that seems to be spot on for your area:

Salary.com Salary Wizard- Do you know what you're worth?

I worked phone tech support for Midwest Micro/Infotel back in the early 90's and loved it. Exposure to many, many situations - you're learning all the time. Good luck!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I started off at $12.50/hr in call center support but then again, I was a sub-contractor. I'd go for $15/Hr
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    Bryan0530Bryan0530 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dont sell yourself short... I started my first IT job at 20.68hr = 43k a year. No certs/degree/experience. im in desktop support and the average income based off the chart slotzero put out my position is at 34k compared to Az for 31k.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    It's completely dependent on your area. slotzero provided an excellent resource to find out the average pay for your area. It looks like $9 is on the entry level end. Are you able to utilize your cert knowledge in the job?
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I don't know what the networking job market is in your area but why not try to get a NOC job somewhere? It would pay around the same and you would be aligning the job with the credentials you already have. A year or two at a entry level NOC job and doubling your pay on the next job would be almost a sure thing.
  • Options
    SmithozzieSmithozzie Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the feedback, but I am actually located in Flagstaff, Arizona while I complete my BA. there are not many Tech jobs in flagstaff, and no NOC's to my knowledge.