Options

Graduated - WGU IT Security

Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Done and done. They accepted my capstone today and the diploma is in the mail.icon_cool.gif

Took me a total of 2 terms(1yr), 2 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 14 hours, and 2 minutes until I received the notification of completion. I think I could have shortened that by a term, but I burned out and crawled/cried/drooled for about a month.

Now I need to find a way to get into pentesting. Being a network analyst has its perks, but I've always felt a strong urge for offensive security...Now I'm going to put my money and time where my mouth is. On to the OSCP! If anyone knows of a junior level pentesting/security research position let me know! I willing to travel just about anywhere...thinking about Colorado...

I used these forums a lot during my studies and expect to continue to. Thanks for all the help guys/gals!
2014 Goals
  • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
  • Obtain employment in IT Security

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Congrats, and good luck with the job search!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I saw a jr pentesting positions with the Federal Reserve of San Fransisco about 3 months ago but it's not there anymore. My suggestion is to keep looking on the Federal Reserve website for jobs. They dohave a Pentesting position.

I want to do the OSCP but I think I should learn some Python and Bash scripting first.

Congratulations on finishing!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congratulations, I bet you feel amazing! I am shooting for a two-term finish myself, should be interesting. I'm curious, did you ever think about their MS ISA? I feel like OSCP would probably help the career more and you would gain more knowledge vs the MS ISA, what do you think? It would be awesome if they dropped EC-Council and picked up OffSec for the MS...
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea, it would be cool if they got rid of the CEH and put in OSCP.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif

I will be starting in February for my BS-IT: Security degree at WGU!!
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've thought about the Masters, but at this point I'm sick of being told what to study and studying for multiple choice exams. The OSCP will force me to prove that I can actually perform these tasks. I think it would depend on what exactly you wanted to do. I think the Masters would probably help more if you were looking to get into a less technical security role. Maybe management or reporting.

I'm tired of theory, which is what that Masters gives you more of. It's time to get dirty, so OSCP for me!icon_twisted.gif

Edit: I doubt they would ever replace the CEH for the OSCP. It is a degree in information assurance, not offensive techniques. I bet they would have a lot less people make it through that degree if they put in the OSCP. It is geared towards the less-technical positions.
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Thanks for your input, makes total sense to me. I imagine I will follow a similar path as you because I'm very interesting in pentesting myself, but I have a long ways to go. Again, congratulations bro!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats!!! I will be starting that same degree in January!
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Done and done. They accepted my capstone today and the diploma is in the mail.icon_cool.gif

Took me a total of 2 terms(1yr), 2 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 14 hours, and 2 minutes until I received the notification of completion. I think I could have shortened that by a term, but I burned out and crawled/cried/drooled for about a month.

Now I need to find a way to get into pentesting. Being a network analyst has its perks, but I've always felt a strong urge for offensive security...Now I'm going to put my money and time where my mouth is. On to the OSCP! If anyone knows of a junior level pentesting/security research position let me know! I willing to travel just about anywhere...thinking about Colorado...

I used these forums a lot during my studies and expect to continue to. Thanks for all the help guys/gals!

Thank you for sharing your WGU journey with us CT! I too plan on tackling the IT: Security track sometime in 2015, and hope to finish in 2 terms. Congratulations and well done friend, we are all proud of you for achieving your goal in obtaining your degree and certs!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! My plans to finish in two terms were slowed a bit by life and work... I am now finishing out my 4th term... I wish you the best in the future, and Colorado is where I am looking as well.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Cold Titanium - congrats on the degree. Best of luck in your future endeavors! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]