Options

Made the Jump into an IT job

gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have spent the last six years as an electrician. I took on as many projects as I could related to IT installs, as that was what I rediscovered as my passion. I grew playing with computers and networks. I don't really know why I didn't choose that path right away.

Anyway, two weeks ago I accepted a Desktop Support II position for a Fortune 500. I am still striving to get to network engineer someday, but I already enjoy this job and hope it takes me where I want to go.

I will be finishing a BS IT-NA at WGU this coming year, which includes CCNA and MCSA. I have not decided yet if I will pursue a M.S. or a further certifications first.

Reading here, Tech-Exams, has really motivated me to get where I want to be. Thank you all.

Comments

• Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the club!
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    went from electrician to desktop support II?
  • Options
    While I was an electrician, that title becomes deceiving. The last couple years I worked hands on in systems and networking, helping to design and implement solutions. The corporation I worked for included an IT company that I would frequently work with on projects.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    How did you design networking systems as an electrician?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Helping to design, mostly physical requirements, but also got involved in some light configuration as well because I wanted to participate.
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congrats on making the jump to IT! I agree that TE provides great motivation, inspiration, and just a cool place to learn about anything IT.

I had a buddy that is an electrician that had to help run network cables for an affiliate or sister company one time, so I don't see it being that unusual that you did something similar. He wasn't allowed to touch a console cable or configure anything though, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't actively trying to learn like yourself.

Good for you for taking the opportunities that came your way to find (re-find?) your passion and go after it!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1