Options

What are the roles/features that you would normally configure in an AD environment?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
Domain services, DNS, DHCP, DFS, Printer manager, GPO, Home drive, Documents folder redirect, share drive and dial in service . Am i missing something else? I am building a lab to learn Active Directory and to mimic a real life production network.

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, they would be the regular services I would think of.

Backup? E-mail? Not essential, but all the ones you have listed are the main ones. DNS is oh so critical for AD, make sure you get that right.
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Wouldn't E-mail be a separate exchange server? Also, for backup i would probably use a cloud service and NAS with backup exec
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, but then I wouldn't lump DNS DHCP Print, File, etc etc roles all on one server either....
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    I like to enable shadow copies on shared folders.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    As an FYI, once your figure out which services are needed, the MS test lab guide will have tons of information on building a working AD setup.

Test Lab Guides - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Use Windows Server 2012 Test Lab Guides - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki
    to build out your domain controllers and client machines, then you can build Radius, print, PKI et al services.
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would also setup and get familiar with WDS.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Exchange is a very popular component that you would manage via ADUC mmc snap-in, along with security groups.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.