Options

University of Illinois Blue Waters Super Computer - Pictures from Petascale Day!

Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
On National Petascale Day (October 15) the University of Illinois Blue Waters Super Computer was opened to the public for limited tours. I thought I would share the pictures I took there that day. Apologies all of these pictures were taken with an iPhone 5.

Upon entering the second floor of the facility where the computing center lies, one is greeted with digital signage, and framed images of discoveries made possible by Super Computing:
IMG_1199.jpg

From that same room, one can see through a window into the Control Center:
IMG_1226.jpg

There is also a window into the main datacenter. Here we could see a few of the pods that house the Cray compute nodes:
IMG_1225.jpg

After leaving the welcome area, we were guided down a long hallway that housed multiple battery systems on the left side of the hallway:
IMG_1204.jpg

Environmental and fire controls were located on the right side of that same hallway:
IMG_1205.jpg

At the very end of the hallway were master power services for the cooling towers:
IMG_1222.jpg

The hallway led to the entrance to the large datacenter. Closest to the entrance were the testing racks and a small build station:
IMG_1206.jpg

Along the way the tour guide opened up their raised floor. The raised floor at Blue Waters is 7 feet deep.
IMG_1208.jpg

We were then shown one of the Cray compute nodes. These nodes have eight Opteron processors, and four banks of 64GB of memory, with two Cray Gemini interconnects per node running the fabric that binds all of the nodes together.
IMG_1217.jpg

Cray Compute Node up close:
IMG_1221.jpg

We were then allowed to take pictures and look at the system from a distance.
IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Tapefinity Tape Backup System:
IMG_1214.jpg

Enjoy!
Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So is this the new server pool for Battlefield 4?? ;)

Seriously though nice pictures cheers, now that would be a fun project to work on. I think the most I have dealt with is 96 processors, I feel this system might do a little better on the benchmarks. I would love to get back in to HPC and play about with some really large systems.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for posting very sweet.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah, the minimum system requirements for the next version of Windows.

But seriously nice pictures.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    exampasser wrote: »
    Ah, the minimum system requirements for the next version of Windows.

:) very good
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool pictures. Thanks for the share